1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 550Ti driver issues.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .//TuNdRa, 7 Jan 2012.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Recently I got another KFA2 550TI LTD OC White edition off a friend, figuring that, coupled with an SLI capable motherboard (Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3), I would be capable of running SLI. I started by simply installing both cards, checking the power was connected and the like, although was slightly confused to see that SLI wasn't an option in the Nvidia control panel.

I restarted to try and solve this problem, and then it stopped detecting the second card entirely. I have since reinstalled the release drivers (266.71) from the driver disk included, but I cannot SLI off those drivers, nor can I update.

I've attempted Driver Sweeper under Safemode, then reinstalling the latest drivers there, I have also attempted clean and non clean driver updates in standard windows and Safe Mode. Nothing has had success. Every time; the second card suffers Error 43 (Windows has stopped this device because it has encountered an error.)

This is getting incredibly infuriating. I have sent an Email to KFA2 to see if they can provide any assistance, but the earliest I will have a response is Monday, rather a downer on what I hoped to be a weekend of good gaming.

The drivers I've attempted to use after the 266.71 are: 275.50 Beta, 280.26 WHQL, 285.62 WHQL, 285.79 Beta, 290.36 Beta and 290.53 Beta.

What is strange is that I had this issue originally with my first KFA2 550TI, but It was resolved after installing in safemode, yet it doesn't appear to work this time.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

For reference; this has also been posted up on the Nvidia forums. I'm trying everything I can to get it working in the meantime.

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Have you tried a different SLi bridge? They're only flimsy things and that particular one might be defective. But that would't explain why your second card decided to take a break.

3. .//TuNdRa

The SLI bridge hadn't been touched till I unwrapped it and put it in place.

It's not broken per se, though, it just refuses to work with anything but the release drivers.

3lusive likes this.
  4. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Remove the first 550 Ti, and replace it with the new one and see if that works? Would rule out the card being faulty.

5. .//TuNdRa

Attempted that. I've swapped the two cards around and it's not made any difference. Strange this is that It doesn't behave as if it's faulty. The second card (Which is now my primary) cannot be updated, yet it still runs everything perfectly. I can't find a single flaw with the way it's running.

Edit; I have since tried each card individually, but the fault remains.

EDIT: Solved it! Had to flash the Bios from the working card across to the faulty one (Despite the fact they were the same version number.)

If anyone else encounters this difficulty: Use NVflash 5.10 (It supports flashing inside windows, which is okay for a Secondary Card) and it will solve the problem.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2012
  6. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Glad to see you got it fixed mate :)

7. .//TuNdRa

Indeed. The sheer performance of these two are astounding. I went from 446 points in the Heaven Benchmark to 1146.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yes, I have 560Ti SLI... It can't handle BF3 on ultra on multiplayer though.