1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve launches Steam Trading Cards beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 May 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I think the big question here is

why?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'Cos Valve needs a hook. It needs something to keep people using Steam rather than buying games elsewhere - and this is its solution. Like Microsoft and Sony use their ranking systems to tie you in to their console - if you've scored 80,000,000 ePeenPoints on one console, you're less likely to want to switch to the rival platform and start from scratch - Valve is hoping that people will become addicted to collecting and trading the cards and thus stick with Steam rather than flitting off to a rival service.

Add in to that the bonus sales that come from people who have received Dota 2 cards (or whatever) from a friend and want to complete the set (so have to buy and play Dota 2) and you're laughing all the way to the bank.

At least, that's the theory. Will it work? Stranger things have happened. Remember the Beanie Baby craze?

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Do Steam really need this to keep hold of their current customers? I certainly don't really see the point of it all. I've used Steam since HL2 and whilst I have Origin (only because of BF3) I still go back and play other games on Steam as well.

5. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I assume these are virtual cards that dunt exist in physical space. If so then gimmick. If on they other hand they're real cards that exist in the so-called real world then gimmick. Might appeal if I was 12,

6. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

So hats for people who don't play TF2?

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Oh deer. :lol::duh:

Double Oh dear for typo. :lol:

8. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I want cards for every hat in TF2. Along with a way to craft any cards that I do not like into new hats.

fuus likes this.
  9. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Not interested.

No need to zynga-ise. If anything it'll put me off the platform, personally.

I'll stick with steam as it does what it says on the tin very well, and for the awesome sales -- don't need any additional incentive, thanks.

10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Oh well, at least they didn't do something stupid to drive away customers. I think I first had to install Steam for F.E.A.R 2. At first I was very skepticle with regards to the electronic marketplace, but more recently I've come to really appreciate what Steam has done. I've started purchasing some games through Steam now when I catch good bundle or sales deals.

I don't even bother browsing for PC games anymore at game shops and big box stores here in the US becuase the shelf space reserved for them has been steadily dwindling down to almost nothing over the last 10 years. I like Steam because I can start downloading immediately instead of waiting for a game to come via shipping.

The major drawback though is bandwidth caps. I have a soft cap of 15Gb a month after which my connection speeds become agonizingly slow. Because of that, I try to wait till a day or two before my cap reset to download large games. Even when it drops into the low speed, I just let it run 24/7 till it's done.