1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla man recommends Bing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

With a beard like that you know you can trust this bloke.

3. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I was going to say! - What a beard!

4. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

The beard doesn't lie! And it has a point too.

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I feel today will be spent researching as opposed to doing my job... Oh well!

6. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

you guys remind me of an episode of top gear
    a quote from clarkson
    "beardy mans wife, also with beard"

7. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Doesn't Google pay Mozilla to be the default search engine in Firefox?
    If so, they won't like this.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'd trust him more if he had an afro.

9. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

what and a white tuxedo as well?

10. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

TBH, I agree with the beard. The fact that CEO of a major company like Google, which obviously has access to huge amounts of personal data, should simply dismiss the argument with the 'nothing to hide fallacy' should worry anybody with half a brain who uses their offerings on a regular basis.

The 'nothing to hide argument' is very well deconstructed in the following paper -
    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=998565

Well worth a read so that the next time someone tries to argue that 'if you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear' you can tell them exactly why they're wrong (and an idiot into the bargain)

Dreaming likes this.
  11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

problem is google is number 1 for a search engine, bing i find a little hard to use, layout is horrid. My university defaults to bing.

Other than google and bing what search engines are worth while?

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Can we not sidestep these issues to a large extent by disallowing google from setting cookies?

13. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

was about to switch gmail account to be my main but decided not to and am going to stop using chrome but instead use firefox/bing
    google's been worrying me for awhile now and this is the final straw

14. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

What A Beard....

15. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Because privacy policies are the be-all and end-all of what a company actually does with the data it collects on you amirite?

One's as bad as the other and privacy policies are worth sweet ****-all in the face of things like the patriot act.
    If you really have something to hide you'll be doing more to conceal it than just switching which search engine you use.

I don't feel that companies like Google or Microsoft should be allowed to do whatever they want with our information, but then who's really going to stop them at this stage and does it really make a difference in the real world, regardless of whether or not you have anything to hide?

16. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Whilst I agree that the patriot act doesn't care which search engine you use (or ironically named it is, incidentally), if a ton of Google users suddenly switch to Bing - they'll notice. Also, the man's point is why use the service of someone who's policy isn't up to scratch.

I agree with him. And yes, the beard is quite literally awesome.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

18. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

LMFAO @ DragunovHUN's link!!! :D:D:D

"If you want to opt-out, you too can toil in the hinterlands and die young..." :D:D

19. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

I tried bing once, it couldn't find what I wanted. Google didn't got bing with a bad product, I think their search engine is just that good.

I do worry a lot about my privacy, and I think the beard guy has a good point, I do have things to hide, just like everybody does. Life's boring without anything to hide (or welcome to 1984). But switching to bing just isn't it. Not because of google. but because of bing.

20. whiskers

whiskers What's a Dremel?

I've been growing more and more suspicious of Google recently with all their new services coming out and trying to take over every brunch of our tech-infested lives.
    They read our email, watch our electricity usage, know what we search for, know which sites we visit (DNS service/Chrome/reader/web traffic analytics), know whom you're calling (Android), know what documents you're working on (wave/docs), know where you travel (maps/phone gps apps), soon will know what you do on your computer (Chrome OS/Google Desktop) and if the vision of internet storage ever becomes true, will have access to your files.

I don't wear a tinfoil hat, but such omnipresence in all spheres of technology is certainly worrisome. In a sci-fi movie fantasy, at some point in the future someone at Google will be able to push a button and distribute software to a very large portion of the population, whether it runs on your phone, your PC, or maybe your blender by that point.

Now, following the old-age argument of "why do you worry if someone examines your data if you have nothing to hide", someone might say - "this is tin-foil conspiracy-theorist nonsense..." but I say "there shouldn't be a possibility of someone examining my data". I do not feel comfortable with Google's omnipresence. There is just too much Google in our internets!

Whew, all righty then, I will get back to reading this feed in Google reader now.

Tags: Add Tags