1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DayZ Thread (Standalone)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 18 Dec 2013.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting a new thread of the new standalone full game release.

Useful links:
    Steam Page
    Getting Started
    Chernarus+ google-maps style map

------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to drop your steam names and TS servers for buddying up!
    Mine: Reaper1337

Share you stories, tips, and tricks here!

Last edited: 18 Dec 2013
  2. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Very tempting, I haven't touched the mod since September last year.

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Prices will be raised on each stage of development like mine craft and ARMA3.
    My guess will be once in beta it will be £25 then full gold release £30.
    So best time to get in really even if you dont see your self playing it to much right now.

I wont be my self as ill find the bugs to frustrating like the random falling unconscious bug.
    At any point in the game you can fall unconscious, and never come back round. I would loose my **** if that happened to me while kitted up so im going fooling around on it for now.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2013
  4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Im expecting player wipes not to be uncommon in alpha.
    Rule one of DayZ, dont get attached to your gear!

Something Rocket said in his stream not long ago that i think a lot of people have missed, we are only playing on half of the map right now. Chernarus+ is planned to be twice the size it is now when its completed. It will not go more west, but north.

Would like to see more significant islands in this as well.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2013
  6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Yeah I believe plenty of new islands will be coming.

I'm not bothered about my gear. Was planning on a fresh start for when I stream on new years eve. BT Infinity goes in the same day.

The Mothership

7. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

took me an hour and a half to get on a server, but when i did a guy ran up to me, dropped all his stuff and logged off. i spent half an hour wandering around town but no loot or zombies spawned so i got bored and went away.

Marginally better but less exciting than my first time playing the mod.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

172,000 copies sold in first 24 hours.

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Less zombies but lack of food and drink=greater threat.

There was a time when lots of zombies but you could find all you needed.

I spent an hour looting Cherno, found a few drinks, some tins of food but no tin opener. One dead player had some ring pull sardines so I got to eat but still a pain in my backside.

But hey this is what I found.

[​IMG]

Oh and the TEC building was where I found the weapon and ammo ;)

10. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I find the spawn logic very frustrating.

Server restart = easy to loot up. 30 mins before a restart? Nightmare to get gear in a city.

11. adrock

yeah, as previously pretty certain that's a server side issue. much like wastelands the server grows and grows trying to keep track of objects, people etc and just gets slower and slower at spawning stuff in either because it's busy or it's trying to keep memory usage down.

Dom, I've ammo for that gun, and 25 rounds for my sidearm. also a small purple back pack, a medkit with some medkit type stuff in it, and bits and pieces including a water bottle.

I see they've added a town type place to where we used to meet up at Vysota. in fact the map looks much busier now with less empty space between things. Shame, i like my empty space :)

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

well my understanding is that loot spawns are one time only - they don't replenish, hence as time goes on, gear gets rarer until a restart.

Should prove for an interesting PVP rush at airfields every restart though!

13. adrock

yeah, because what DayZ needs is PvP rushes ;)

14. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

We were at the airfield last night (can't remember which since I'm not familiar with the map) and we killed an axe murderer who charged us, plus found a good 6-7 dead bodies that hadn't been looted. WIN!

15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Main problem with this alpha i see at the moment is the server hopping. People raid low pop servers at the airfields constantly.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Been hanging around my favorite haunt, Krasnostav and the NE airfield. Got quite kitted out again after losing my character. I learned that combining two map pieces makes a usable map, which must be equipped in hand to use. Ammo cans can be used to store loose rounds to take up way less space than loaded magazines, though you can't mix ammo types in a single can.

More excitingly, I checked out some of the new areas of the map. North of Krasnostav there were quite a few roads and flat spots where buildings will quite obviously be placed in the future, some of decent size. There's a new town already entered called Guba in the far northeast, it doesn't seem complete quite yet, but there's some buildings with loot. And a neat train station nearby with enterable boxcars.

This is currently my main complaint as well. Even at NE airfield there are server hoppers with some regularity. Died to one last night, but my buddy took him out immediately after. I respawned after a few seconds and guess what I saw... a fresh spawned player next to me. Almost certain it was him, boxed him to death. Felt good.

It's a tough problem to fix, and no option I've heard or thought of really fixes it without some downsides. Timers between switching servers? A hassle for those looking to move after a server crash or something. No-log zones which move players out of them if they try to? People just wait on the edges. Can't loot/shoot soon after joining? A potentially lethal hassle for legitimate players. Move to smaller hives? Removes a key game feature of persistence between all servers.

I'd like to see something done, personally. Even with downsides, the playerbase will learn to live around it. On a similar subject: where'd the log out timer go? Every hopper I've seen so far has tried (with great success) to log out immediately after being shot and survive unharmed.

17. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'd agree with server hopping. We went on a low population server only because 2 of the 4 of us had never played, and we weren't server hopping, we were just trying to introduce our other 2 friends to the game without any crazy action. We've also experienced people logging out as soon as they've been shot at. Quite frustrating.

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

After checking sticky threads on the official forums, looks like the log out timer has been temporarily removed to make sure the servers can handle the load on release and will be added when safe to do so.

19. adrock

so give it 2-3 weeks for people to tire of the server hoppers and the overgeared airfield campers and the number of players will hopefully drop to a point where they can put timers back on. that'll drive out those guys and the population will go back up, until they have to remove the timers to handle the load. Then those guys will come back and start doing that again and driving people away and oh no i've gone cross-eyed.

hour 1: loot up in elektro, not much left, and i ate a rotten banana and am now dying. I ran north carrying a yellow box with things in it (a knife and cooking pot). somewhere nroth fo the damn i took a left turn (signpost said 1 mile to town this way, 2 miles the other way). got into town, axed my first zombie, found a water pump, a second zombie knocked me out, when i came to a few seconds later i was sliding along the ground into the forest, unable to move. I can inventory, so i bandaged, ate (zombie is walking after me but not hitting me), and then logged off because i can't get my guy to do any animation at all.

So who knows what state it'll be in when i log back in. If I'm lucky, i'll be alive and near that water pump (i'm thirsty but not sick anymore), so it's a range of somewhere between that and just being a new spawn somewhere.

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The Dev team are looking to implement respawning loot/zombies. As the system where gear/zombies are single spawn till server restart just doesn't work.

The lack of zombies at the moment is all because of this. When stable/optimised they plan to have many zombies plus plenty loot. At the moment they could have 4k zombies but no loot as the system cannot handle it.

As an alpha it isn't exactly broken as the bugs are being patched very quickly. Not to mention a closed test server where they test everything before it goes live.

They are also implementing VAC and another anti hack system, more than likely Battleeye related. Lets hope it isn't PB.