1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC: Project1970 (completed 20. Feb)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bard, 1 Jan 2005.

1. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

[​IMG]

Introduction:
    This started out as an ordinary wood-HTPC, inspired by Eddie Dane, but as I went along, I decided to make it into a table as well, and so "1970" was born. The main design reminds me of design furniture from the '70s, but it has some modern qualities as well. It is not a table that you sit at. It is more like a TV unit. The hardware (and software), however, will supply its user with full control of the world of media...
    [​IMG]

Original first post
    I started a project some weeks ago, but I have ditched it in favor of this HTPC project (and I needed the parts for the HTPC...).

I am creating an HTPC which will have a Radeon 9000 pro AIW gfx card for TV viewing, recording and TV-on-demand possibilities. It will also have a DVD player and, if I can afford it, a DVD burner. When I probably move away from home in a couple of months, I will use this HTPC along with (if I get a hold of one) a wall mounted TFT as a home entertainment center.

My main inspiration is the VesperDeco HTPC created by Eddie Dane. I will also be using wood (not plywood though) and implement at least one layer of acrylic into it as well. I will stain the wood in a nice red cherry color, so don't worry, that nasty pine is going away...

I'm probably boring you with text, so let's move on to some pics, shall we?

[​IMG]
    /\ The base of the HTPC. I have copied Eddie Dane, and routed out the part where the mobo tray is going to sit. As you can see, there are some imperfections in the routing. Those will be covered by the tray, so it doesn's really matter. The three half-circles that are routed at the bottom there are to give clearance for the rivets on the mobo tray.

[​IMG]
    The mobo tray slides right in there.

[​IMG]
    Test fitting the HDD mounting rack.

I'm a bit concerned about the airflow though. There is almost nowhere to put fans unless I start making blowholes in the top, which I am not intending to do. Will the wood cause the system to overheat due to low heat dispersion compared to a metal case?

Last edited: 20 Feb 2005
  2. Eran

Eran What's a Dremel?

Good luck mate, about the airflow try blowholeing the bottom of the case.

3. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Looks cool, I'm a big fan of the Wood HTPC's give them a classy look!! Good luck with it.

4. bard

Thanks, I think I have the design sorted out now too. Haven't drawn it anywhere, though, except in my head..

Having a blowhole in the bottom of the case is a good idea, but unfortunately, my case will be so crammed with hardware, that there will be no 80x80mm area left where I could put a fan... I'll try to get some on the sides though.

Right now I have finished up the bottom piece and drilled holes for mounting the HDD rack. Have to go out and buy some wood before I can continue.

5. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Wood is good. And it'll also suck some of the noise off, so that will be pretty quiet if yo uuse quiet fans and components.

6. Xhiz

Xhiz What's a Dremel?

Cool a wood case! :thumb:

Keep them pictures coming :thumb:

7. Yelrad

Yelrad What's a Dremel?

Very Cool Dont BUrn The Wood with your coponets lol

8. bard

Here's an early design picture. I think I have the ground shape ready, with the rounded sides like that.
    The panel (black) will probably be different from this, and I might as always include some plexiglass in between the layers of wood.
    As you can see, this will not only be a free standing computer, but a table, approximately 50 cm high.

[​IMG]

Feel free to make suggestions or just comment on the design before I start building. Suggestions for a project name are also appreciated.

9. MenloR

MenloR What's a Dremel?

looks nice, hope to see more :p

but aren't you a bit close to you screen then?

10. KodiakStar

KodiakStar What's a Dremel?

How about a remote control? Hmm. maybe a small LCD screen at an angle
    ontop next to the IR Reciever for the remote to show current chapter, or
    song title etc, and a custom Play/Pause/Stop panel?

11. bard

You're not actually going to sit right behind the table. The PC is sort of a TV bench, so you will actually be sitting a couple of meters away from it. The 17" TFT is just my way of getting a cheap flat screen TV...

I have a homemade IR receiver and remote that I have connected to this system, but the thing is, when I run the ATI TV viewer software, the remote doesn't work, which makes it sort of useless. I think I'll stick to a wireless mouse and keyboard. If anyone knows any cheap wireless keyboard (which can be shipped to Norway), please give me a link.

12. Eran

Eran What's a Dremel?

hrmf, try making a pivot for the panel, and hide it with a piece of wood, it would look stealth and nice.

13. KodiakStar

oh! :duh:

You should put glass/plexi... etc on the top of the "table" portion...

I could just see someone setting a soda down and spilling or something
    similar... wouldnt want to mess up your wood, or the computer inside ;)

14. bard

Eran: I think I am going to make a design feature out of the panel, so I don't think it is going to be stealthed.

KodiakStar: You got me thinking there. I don't want any soda to get inside my computer, but I don't want to put glass all over the top (it will have a thick coat of laquer anyway, just like my bar countertop, so spilling won't be a problem for the wood. However, I might just put up a low "wall" of plexi at the end facing the wall, so that if someone spilled soda on the table, it would not run back over the wires, but rather go off the sides (or front)

15. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I like the table idea. :thumb:

As far as ventilation is concerned, now you know why I had the two ports on the sides, one 120mm sucking in and one blowing out on the opposite side. The wood will keep the heat in if you don't ventilate it well enough but the sound prooffing benefits are excellent.

16. bard

Ok, KodiakStar, I have actually decided to put plexi on top of it anyway. I will, however, paint it black on the back side, giving a nice, reflective finish. Still, you gave me the idea :thumb:
    I plan to have some parts of the plexi heavily tinted instead of painted, so that it is possible to look into the computer parts if it is illuminated from the inside.

[​IMG]

17. KodiakStar

:thumb: It would be what i would do too lol.

97% of the time I *never* spill anything, but since about
    100% of the time i have something liquid near my computer
    its that 3% I worry about... and if my computer was a table..
    the odds shift more too :)

BTW What are you going to use for the legs? making your own?

18. bard

I plan to buy some cheap IKEA ones, and then just cut them to my preferred length (which would be no more than 40cm).
    However, if I can find some nice, thin metal rods, I might create some legs of my own, if I can get a welder to weld them for me.

19. Eran

Eran What's a Dremel?

I liked the natural wooden look, i dislike the new sketch sorry, imho he 1st sketch is the most fine so far... :blah:

20. KodiakStar

Just an Idea drew it up in 2 minutes on MSPaint :worried:
    So its quality! jks

Could make your own custom stand-offs from the wood case, and use clear
    plex so you could still see your good finish on the wood, depending on how
    large the table top is might have to use thicker plexi for the top, and then
    if you wanted could use LED's in the standoff to do some lighting *shrugs*
    just an idea :)
    [​IMG]