1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mountain bike noob with £1000 to spend...

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 8 May 2013.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm in the market for something with an offroad tendency, but know nothing about bikes. My last bike was a trek something or other mountain bike that I had for my 13th birthday...

I've got a £1000 subsidy from my work (taken pre-tax/NI, which is ultra-win), so I have to spend a minimum of £1000 (but if the bike is less, I'm allowed to spend it on biking paraphernalia). I can also spend more and just fund it normally. I'd like to keep it close to £1000 though, and have no reason to think that that's going to present any issues.

The one catch is that it has to be from Evans cycles... these ones caught my eye, any opinions?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/breezer/lightning-29-pro-2012-mountain-bike-ec032187

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/teamelite-te02-slx-xt-2012-mountain-bike-ec031117

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/speedfox-sf02-deore-slx-2012-mountain-bike-ec031115

I'm making an assumption that last year's bikes are a far better value proposition than current gen options here.

In terms of terrain, expect "moderate" offroad - craggy trails, but no ledge diving or the like. So either hardtail or full sus would suit from what I gather (look at me, with the bike lingo...)

My research and review reading has led me to beleive that none of these are a bad choice, but then they get technical, and over my head. Comments like, "depends on what you're looking for in a bike" aren't helpful, given that I've not been on one in anger for at least 10 years. I'm looking for wheels, pedals and handlebars ideally! :D

Any opinions?

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Am a little out of the buying loop as its been a long time since I've bought a whole bike rather then building one but, I'd be tempted out of those 3 to go for the BMC Teamelite TE02 SLX/XT as you often find component choice on a hardtail get you a slightly better spec for the money.

Unfortunatly (and I know you've said this isn't useful) I'd say it really comes down to if you want full sus or hardtail and what your looking to ride. The components are around the same level on all 3 with no major stand out highlights between them (from what I can see) with similar finishing kit. Unfortunatly I don't know a lot about both manufactures - you might get a bigger response if you link to this thread in the 'we ride bikes' thread or maybe register over at bikeradar or pinkbike etc.

If you haven't done much riding recently Id might be worth looking at a Full Sus as learning can be slightly more forgiving of mistakes. I've rode a hardtail for years and moved to full sus about 3 years ago - admit I haven't put many hours in since but I've found its really like learning to ride a bike again!

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Post in the bike thread? :p

At that budget I would be looking at a hard tail over a full sus as your going to get better components and a lighter more nimble bike. I have not seen the two makes linked too and they are different beasts. The BMC is well specced and looks like a good option for a XC orientated hardtail. The Breezer is a 29" er so a different beast and could feel very different. A lot comes down to the frame geometry so the best advice is to get down to the shop and try them and see which fits you best and which one you like the feel of.

Mister_Tad likes this.
  4. Mister_Tad

I started cruising through the bike thread, but got intimidated... It's not a gentle learning curve.

I'm after something with longevity as opposed to something that's forgiving on the beginner, e.g. I don't want to have to "graduate" to something more suited in 18 months time.

I planned on hitting the shop before ordering, but it struck me that I'm not going to get a feel for any more than what size is appropriate, as they're not about to let me take it out and rag it around for the day (or are they?)

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Let me read this when I get home and I'll give you the opinion of a cycle mechanic / sales monkey.

6. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I didn't really mean forgiving in a sense that it won't suit you long term, only for off road use you can often get away with mistakes a hardtail would have you landing face first for :)

You might find one you get bitten by the riding bug, your new bike might not be what you want 18 months down the line - I started out with a £100 Halfords Carrera and it wouldn't surprise me at all if my current setup is over £2500 worth so you'll just have to see where the sport takes you as I'm sure many will agree it can be a slippery upgrade slope lol

I'd agree with above that as a general rule you do normally get more from a hardtail spec wise but better spec isn't always a better things if its spec'd on the wrong frame for your riding needs - no hard and fast rule on it unfortunately. Having rode a hardtail for nearly 10 years (I've still got the frame too!), a more XC spec full sus and my current heaver duty XC/AM do anything type ride I'm confident to say depending on what your riding the hardtail vs full sus choice makes a big difference.

Cookie should be able to provide some good insight to the quality of each machine in a little more depth :)

Mister_Tad likes this.
  7. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I'm yet to sample a 29er, but I suspect the ride should be a bit smoother than that of a bike with a 26" wheel.

As for the full susser, it looks as though it's a single pivot design, pretty basic, lower maintenance than a bike with a four bar linkage for example, heres some more info on the differences.

In terms of high end components, they will perform better and perhaps give greater durability over time, but as you've been out of the cycle scene for a while I doubt you'd notice too much of a difference between say XT or XTR for example.

Last edited: 8 May 2013
    Mister_Tad likes this.
  8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/iroko-2-2013-mountain-bike-ec044225

I got this bike from bike to work scheme at the beginning of the year - but I got last years model which was orange. It's a fantastic bike - I don't ride it as much as my full sus but it's an awesome hard tail for long distances off road.

My boss just got the breezer lightning team bike which I believe is the same frame, just a 26er, and that's a lovely bike. Because the frame is chromoly (steel) the tubes are alot thinner than you would find on an alu bike.

Mister_Tad likes this.
  9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Steel hard tail all the way, carbon/titanium if your feeling swish. You don't graduate from a hard tail but sometimes you accept that the cliff of a drop off isn't quite rideable. A lot of my mates ditched their full suspension bikes and went back to hard tails as they were over biked for all but one of the local trail centres and they're too heavy to drag round on all day trips

Mister_Tad likes this.
  10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

One thing I would say about the Breezer - my boss just had to return his to evans as loads of the paint started coming off the frame - he has had it maybe 3 weeks, I think it's a one off thing, evans speaking to breezer about it atm, he only dropped it back there this morning.

11. Mister_Tad