1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Is it time for RTS games on consoles?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 Mar 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Halo Wars only has people interested in it because of the Halo name. Take away the title, you got a bland, boring and less than challenging RTS. Stormrise is supported by a company that has outstanding street rep in the RTS world. The two titles are not going to do well because they're innovative or a console game. Their makers are coming into the console world with street credit and that will makes sales.

As for RTS controls, the mouse still out performs controllers. Consoles are still and will always be watered down PC games.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2009
  3. Helldiver18

Helldiver18 What's a Dremel?

I really think RTS on big LCD would be great.

The mouse factor is a limitation but I can see the Wiimote from the Wii as a very good replacement (even better than a mouse because of the 3D possibilities)

I don't know if Pikmin can be consider as a RTS but replace the little Pikmin by soldiers and it's done (sort of).

Nice article (conversation) by the way

4. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

You can always run an rts off your HTPC. Just to see what it would be like I used a 40" HDTV as a monitor via vga for a few days before putting it in the living room. RTS games like sins were amazing on it! It was so awesome to see the battles on such a big screen. For more tactical games like Starcraft I think the good old regular monitor is still best because you do not have time to be moving your head around to see what is going on. Games like that are more about micro and macro than watching big explosions while you eat popcorn and hope your army wins.

5. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

Halo Wars actually works. I have played some of it and the control scheme makes it where most console RTS are just broken out of the box.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

make me a functional control scheme for Supreme Commander or Sins of Solar Empire and THEN i believe PC RTS is no more.

all those console wannabes are only battle field commander at most. the controls still can't handle large fleet or real micromanagement.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I don't think the PC RTS is going to die any time soon, but that doesn't mean that solid and successful RTS's can not be done on consoles. People are only getting smarter, and hardware is only getting better.

I have tried Halo Wars, and while it does not compare to Forged Alliance or SoaSE, it is a great success in its own right. The controls work well, and the developers have made their decisions along the development and have stuck to their guns. Not only that, but they have done the most they can with the hardware, and I think Ensemble (or all those that used to be in it) should be congratulated.

But I'm still going to be playing FA tonight, and not Halo Wars.

8. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

In the end it comes down to APM it will always be higher on the pc and therefore the best micro will always be from the pc players...

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Only decent one was Civ4 on consoles. But that's not an RTS really.

10. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

RTS games WILL NEVER success on console without a mouse + keyboard supported / integrated. IMO RTS games require players to sit very close to the screen and quickly select, command ...
    They are PC Games by nature.
    In console, RTS Game's units moving like herds of ducks!

Last edited: 12 Mar 2009
Tags: Add Tags