1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Where are the 1156 socket coolers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psychoti, 11 Sep 2009.

1. psychoti

psychoti What's a Dremel?

shouldn't be out by now?
    Is thermalright gonna release any support bracket for the 1156?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

only crappy ones are out, bar Thermalright Mux-120, which is a cheaper version of TRUE.

Corsair said mounts for H50 should be out end of this week on their forums. so shouldn't be long.

wait for a few weeks and should be out

3. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

I think almost all the air-cooler manufacturers have been asleep for the last 6 months and have only just wakened up and caught on that 1156 is now officially released...

Pretty poor effort from them!
    ________
    Shery

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  4. wyx087

5. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

6. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Not true this one isn't rubbish, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V2 for Socket 1156/775/AM3 etc etc is here http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-7-Pro-v2-S1366-A1156-S775-AM3-AM2plus-AM2-939-Up-to-130-Watts!

Not a bad price for it either £18.39 Inc VAT and Arctic Cooling Freezers are very good coolers

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It's ok for the price, but compared with a good air cooler, it's pretty pants. Arctic Cooling make budget coolers, nothing high end for serious overclockers.

The Mux-120 is not as such a cheaper version of the TRUE, it's smaller than a 120 according to the guys at XS, which makes it not an especially good coolers for the money basically. At least imo, but then I'm not such a fan of TR.

Personally I'd like the lovely cooler Noctua make, SP12 IIRC, but it's shipping at £60 right now which is way too much for me to spend on air. I'll probably avoid a TRUE after all the problems pookey had with them, and the seeming mandatory requirement to lap the things as soon as they arrive to get decent contact. I'm eagarly awaiting Scythe's releases of 1156 coolers. They're a company that seem to tend to be pretty damn good, even if they seem to release a cooler for every day of the week.

I've decided to just wait 2-4 weeks, go with the stock cooler for that time, and then upgrade to a nice cooler and take my overclock further once I can. Seems like the options are too limited, too expensive, and too unknown to be safe purchases right now.

8. wyx087

that's what im doing also, wait until at least Corsair H50 compatible kit comes out to decide.

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Just wrapping up a review of Cooljag's Falcon IV that will fit it.

It's really not bad at all.

10. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

I disagree completely, I'm sure there are other users on here that use Arctic Cooling CPU coolers and in my experience they're very good, used one for last 9 months and CPU hasn't gone above 49 degrees celsius, yeah that's at stock speed of 3000 mhz but even so their still very good coolers in my experience and I'm sure the new one will be just as good, even if people choose to overclock with them.

Sure there will be better coolers than that but price vs performance they are still very good :D

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, that's pretty much what I said. They're budget coolers. They're ok for the price but they're not in the high end performance sector. Over on XtremeSystems, a dedicated overclocking forum, while some people do occasionally use AC HSF's, they're used for price, not for performance. Scythe, Thermalright, and Noctua are the ones almost always used. Along with a couple of other random coolers by smaller companies. If you want your air cooling to suffice for stock clocks, sure an Arctic Cooling HSF will do, but then, so will a stock intel or AMD cooler.

If you want your HSF to compete with a watercooling system, then it won't.

12. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

It's not what you said though is it? For a start I didn't say it was a budget cooler, I mean £18 for a cooler just to sit on top of a CPU isn't really cheap, considering there were and are loads of other (much worse) coolers for a lot cheaper above that to choose from.

You've mentioned that over on XtremeSystems that some people occasionally use AC HSF's and that they're used for price not for performace, if they were that crap people wouldn't use them period no matter what the price lol.

Granted dedicated overclockers will alway's go for the mainstream super coolers but you comparing an Arctic Cooling HSF with a stock Intel or AMD cooler is frankly a little stupid, a stock cooler whether it be Intel or AMD can't compete with an Arctic Cooling HSF and never will, also you're taking this a bit far, nowhere did I say I wanted my HSF to compete with a watercooling system and let's face facts here, no HSF whether it be a Arctic Cooling one or the top ones you mentioned have a chance against water cooling, unless I'm wrong then please tell me :hehe:

13. trig

trig god's little mistake

basically, the ac freezer 7 is an excellent cooler...for the money. it's not anything compared to a noctua, or a fenrir...but it also doesn't cost $70. i think mine cost me $25 when i had my e6300...lol...and it did awesome. got 3.2 ghz if i remember correctly? and 4.41 on my e8400...

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You are. They're OK for the price, but compared to a good (as in, thermally effective) cooler, they're a bit pants (i.e., not so good). You may not consider them budget coolers, but most people I know who use high end air cooling would seem to agree with me that AC's are budget cooling. If you can't afford a high end cooler, they're not a waste of money, which is better than can be said for a lot of HSF's.

I suppose I should say that misreading my post enough that you draw a direct comparison from my saying that both an Arctic cooling HSF and a stock HSF will suffice at cooling a CPU at stock temps is a little stupid then. I just said that a stock HSF will do just fine if you're not overclocking. Unless you're going for a low noise solution, upgrading the stock cooler seems pointless if you want to keep your CPU at stock clocks.

And while no HSF will compete with the truly greatest of water systems, in recent years high end air cooling systems, if airflow is worked out right within the system, can sometimes compete with medium or low range watercooling. That's why I'd always tell people asking about watercooling that if you're going to do it, do it right, or don't bother because air cooling will be better otherwise.

And finally please, don't take this as personal aggro, or an attack against your cooler. I can see reasons for going for it, but it just doesn't fit in the high end cooler range.

15. wyx087

well, i've been overclocking this i5 750 this morning, Bclk 150, 3Ghz turbo to 3.4Ghz can be done without voltage increase, and the stock cooler is JUST enough.

so with something like AC7, we should be able to reach the highest turbo-mode overclock without problem. the highest overclock with turbo mode on is just over Bclk 170 (i was pretty disappointed, but then, could be the stock cooler) 3.4Ghz turbo to 4Ghz. the problem was to get the chip stable with 2 threads, turbo mode kicks in to make 3.9Ghz but voltage enough enough, however, increasing the voltage would mean pushing 4 threads' temperature over 100c. those are on stock cooling, AC7 is pretty acclaimed budget cooler that beats stock cooling by quite a bit.

for extreme overclocks, budget cooler doesn't cut it. the problem with those is that they don't remove the heat fast enough. extreme air overclocking something like TRUE have 6 heatpipes.

16. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

This is using a Gigabyte P55 UD5 with 4GB ripjaw DDR3-1600c7 ram with a Zalman CNPS10X Quiet with an Akasa Apache 120mm fan...just bought the Zalman as a stop-gap until the 1156 botl-thru kit is released for the Thermalright UE...
    ________
    KATYL

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

well...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

That's an 870 on water baby! 4.2GHz with speedstep, Turbo Boost, and thermal control all turned OFF. The speed is always there and it's INSANE, i love it :D

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Anyone got an idea of what sorta temps we should be aiming to top out at? And what's max safe levels? I'm hitting 82C with my stock cooler and a very modest overclock of 150x20, no voltage change, when priming all four cores. Seems a disturbingly high.

edit: Just saw 85C there. That's just scary.

19. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Fair enough,

I get your point, just wanted some acknowledgement that Arctic Cooling aren't that bad at all which you've kind of acknowledged by saying you can see reasons for going for it :D, I mean according to the NEW Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 it claims that when using a Core 2 Quad E9550 with a Stock Cooler the temp is 64.3 degrees celsius, with the Arctic Cooling Freezer it's only 52.6 degrees celsius, almost a 12 degree drop in temp which is pretty impressive :)

And I didn't take your posts as personal aggro, no probs :thumb:

20. dushuai

dushuai What's a Dremel?

Someone make a cooling system with i7 running,the frquence is 6G above,the temp is just 72 degree in China,would it be cooler or sth.

I am a overclocker but still feel amazing such thing.good work ,guys