1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Looking to buy an Ultrabook for work. Anyone have and top choices?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mark_Skeldon, 22 Mar 2012.

1. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

Hi chaps,

I need to replace my laptop at work and I'm going to go down the ultrabook road.

Budget it around £1000-1500

I've already looked at the Dell XPS 13 and it seems quite nice.

Your opinions would be much appreciated :)

Are there any ultrabooks with a capacitive touch screen? This would be a major boon! :clap:

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

MacBook Air 13", delete OS X if you don't want it and boot permanently in to Windows. Its got a 1440x900 screen, opposed to the typical 1380x768, and the best-in-class trackpad that nobody else has matched. Every Ultrabook review I see laments the poor trackpads. Keyboard is also on a par with the other best ones out there.

Throw in solid specs, unibody case, SD card reader and backlit keyboard and it's perfect - within budget as well.

Capacitive touch, not so much yet. Give that another year or two.

3. cpl

cpl Minimodder

My company IT dept. prefers me to buy Toshiba. I have been impressed so far with the build quality. My next one will be a Z830; choice of specs available within your nice budget, nice SSD of course :)

Toshiba Ultrabooks

4. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

I'd love to go down the Mac route (just for the engineering of the things [minus OSX]), however one of the requirements that I should have mentioned in the first post is that is needs to come with a TPM chip so I can use Bitlocker :/

I work in IT myself cpl, and I've had some bad experiences with Toshiba laptops in the past. I'm not too sure how they compare with their ultrabooks but I'm willing to check them out :)

I need to be able to dock the device too, so that I can use the two 27" Dell's on my desk and keyboard/mouse.

5. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ahh shoot. I think TPM is present in the HP Folio?

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

HP Folio is a solid business-focused ultrabook - it's probably what you're looking for.

Ultrabooks with touchscreens probably won't drop by until Windows 8 is released.

8. fernalts

fernalts What's a Dremel?

Have you considered getting an Asus Zenbook Prime UX31? I've seen sites comparing it to other ultrabooks and it scored really well