1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Need advice, what full modular psu to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Evenge, 14 Sep 2013.

1. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

As the title states, I need some advice. My current Corsair TX850 is not modular, and my current scratch build Strobe would benefit a lot if all wires could be detached from the PSU.

So what I want the new psu to be?

- Silent operation
    - Full Modular, preferably 1:1 meaning the connector would be identical to the ones on motherboard, GPU, and so on. Silverstone has this kind of wire management on some of their Strider -line PSUs, but I was wondering if any other manufacturer offers this?

My options so far are:

Silverstone Strider Gold ST65F-G. Don't have any experience about silverstone power supplies, my main concern is the noise they produce.

Another silverstone options are Strider Plus ST60F-PS and Strider Plus ST75F-P.

On the other jand I have a XFX ProSeries 750W PSU as an option as well.

Currently I think sliverstone would be a better option to me since 1:1 Modular wires mean I could easily make new wires by myself. Only thing to do is to by normal atx connectors, crimps, wire and sleeve. With the XFX psu I can't do that, because the 24pin atx connector is split in two. If I would be able to find replacement connectors for the XFX psu then I would probably go for that option instead of Silverstone.

Well why I don't just mod the wires that comes with the psu? Because I want to retain the possibility to use the new psu in some other system as well, so I rather make new wires that are the right length for my strobe project, and use the PSUs own wires in some other system.

So, what PSU should I buy. You are free to give any other suggestions as well. And if someone can point me where I could get replacement connectors for the XFX psu, I could not be more grateful! :) Link for the psu connectors is here. To me those look like a normal connectors just with a bit different amount of pins.

Oh, and the components that will go into Strobe:

- Intel i5 2500K (I might do some minor overclockin in the future, but nothing too serious :D )
    - Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z mATX motherboard
    - EVGA Geforce GTX 570
    - 8 Gigs of ram, (prob getting another pair some time)
    - two 2,5" SSD or HDD drives.
    - 2-3 120mm fans
    - Some LED lights
    - Laing DDC-1T pump
    - Couple external USB3 drives.

All help is much appreciated! :)

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

What is your budget? The new Corsair RM series PSUs look ideal for your needs with them being fully modular and practically silent.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I would have said Seasonic X-460 Platinum, but you are requesting standardized power connectors on the PSU side, which unfortunately none of the Seasonic based designs provide, they all are pretty much copies of the Seasonic connector layout - that is one 16-pin and one 10-pin for the 24-pin connector etc etc.

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

This. They're pretty pricey so since we don't know your budget, the RM series looks good for your specs.

5. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Yeah looks like I answered all other questions except this. :duh: My budget is about 150€, but I'm not that worried about money if I can get the PSU I need.

Corsair RM series looks good, but they also have a same problem as all Seasonic based PSUs: Motherboard connector in the psu is split in two... :grr:

Yea I have noticed that too, annoying if you ask me. :hehe: Though this would not be a problem is I could get one extra set of wires, or find replacement connectors some where.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Evenge likes this.
  7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You can get replacement connectors at E22

Although the Silverstone's generally have 1 to 1 connectors they often have capacitors in the cable sets.

You can easily (relatively) sleeve PSUs with double wires by splicing them.

Evenge likes this.
  8. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Didn't know Nate offers replacement connectors! This is awesome. And it seems like modDiy supplies them also. Thanks a lot guys! This helps me a lot! :)

9. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Bear in mind modDIY charges more than double for each connector than E22. I know modDIY supply the pins with them but they're poor copies of the Molex ones only fit for the bin.

10. Behemot

Behemot What's a Dremel?

Between those to, definitelly XFX (Seasonic KM3) over Silverstone (Sirtec full of bad caps).

But I wonder why so high power, for your rig, even 500W PSU is way more than enough.

11. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Thanks for the advice. :) XFX doesn't have smaller version of their full modular psu series, or at least it seems no retailers in Finland stock other than 750w models and upwards.

Now that I know I can get replacement connectors for these units I've started looking Seasonic P-660 (XP²) 660W power supply too. :naughty:

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

AX series Corsair, HX series or Seasonic X series.

My problem with XFX is that their after sales support is awful.