1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And it's goodbye from me...

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by brumgrunt, 25 Feb 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Just a quick note to say a thank you to you all, and to let you know of a change at Bit-Tech.

As of today, I'm no longer editor of Bit-Tech. Instead, I'm thrilled to introduce Ed Chester, who you may know from his work on Trusted Reviews, as your new editor. When I took on the job here, I always said to people behind the scenes that when someone better came along, I'd step aside and get out of the way. And that's exactly what I'm doing.

I appreciate all the support I've been given by the vast majority of you during the past 13 months. I can't pretend it hasn't been bumpy, but the honesty and constructive feedback I've had has been massively helpful.

I've seen some of the plans that Ed has for the site, and I know that he's keenly aware of some of the feedback you've been giving. I don't think you're going to be disappointed.

Just a few indulgent thank yous from me, if you've just got another minute.

Firstly, I know it's not the done thing around here, but to the folks at Dennis who have listened to and generally acted on what I've asked, a thanks to them. There are some good people who have fought hard for the site in Dennis Towers, and I'm indebted to them.

Then, to the spectacular team of people I've had the pleasure of working with on Bit: Harry, Joe, Antony, Matt, Paul G, Max, Gareth, David.. heck, you guys are great. I'll also, of course, never forget the awards night, with Harry proudly showcasing the ketchup stain on his shirt.

Finally, to you fine readers who have put up with me. To those who have supported me in particular through what's been a particularly trying month or two in my home life, a double appreciation. And for everyone who's taken the time to support the site in any little small way, I can't thank you enough.

That's me done. And all the best to Ed. I think you're going to like him...

Simon

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Thanks for all your help behind the scenes with the mod team, it's been a pleasure. Hope everything works out at home for you. :thumb:

Pop back and see how we're doing from time to time.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Just to reiterate the sentiments above, thanks for all the work behind the scenes and don't be a stranger.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hope you succeed with whatever you're moving on to, make sure you don't forget to see how we're doing every now and again :)

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

While I might have been critical in the past, it's been obvious over the last few months that bit-tech has started to move back in the right direction again. I'm not saying it's perfect yet, but you're leaving it in a much better state than you found it - so hats off to you for you work over the last year and a bit. Good luck in whatever venture you have planned next - and to reiterate yoda's reiteration, don't be a stranger.

Now, where's this Ed chap, I've got a few things I need to discuss with him... :D

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Good luck with the new job.

Don't be a stranger, ...and thanks for putting up with all our grumpy complaints :)D) and trying to get them sorted.

7. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Thanks Simon, and hello everybody!

I'll keep things brief for now as I'm still very much getting my feet under the table but, as you can probably see, I've been a member of the bit-tech forums for a long, long time so it's almost a pleasant surprise to find myself at the helm all these years later.

There will hopefully be some pleasant surprises for you guys when it comes to my plans for the site too, which I'm really hoping to put back on the map as the premier place for technology and gaming enthusiasts both here in the UK and around the world.

It'll take a little while for my plans to manifest themselves on the site but over the coming weeks and months you'll hopefully be seeing some positive changes.

That's it for now except to again say thank you to Simon for having steered the ship for the last 13 months and for having helped so much with my taking on the new role.

Oh, and if you guys have any specific questions, fire away!

Ed

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Thanks Simon for a nice 13 months.

Ed - be good. or else. ( :) )

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Good luck mate :thumb:

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

*sniff*

You were always good to us, Simon.

Just a little FYI that Mat Jones will be stepping in to replace me as Games Editor under Ed, with my recommendation. Mat is an amazing writer who I've followed for a long time and I'm sure he'll do well here.

You can follow Mat on Twitter as @pillowfort and you can listen to his Oh No Videogames podcast too, if you're interested in getting to know him better.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Thanks for keeping us going for the last 13 months Simon. It's been great! :)

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Is he missing a 't' from his name?

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm curious - did you submit a resignation letter with an advertisement on the first page?

:p

Best of luck on your new endeavors.

14. JoshH

JoshH What's a Dremel?

Think if the calories saved over the years not having to type that extra T!!

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm guessing that with a name like Mat, he'll be a walkover...:sigh:

I'll get my coat... ;)

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hi Ed

I've read through all the threads you've started, and some of your posts to see the kind of chap you are, but I'd like to know a little more about you and your background, and why you chose to take the job as editor of Bit Tech.

If its helpful in your upcoming plans, 3 reasons I come back to BT is

1. The friendly community - without the forum folk the site would die and they are amongst the nicest people you'll find on the net
    2. The Project Logs and Modding Section
    3. Antony Leather and everything he does, and the more unique reviews.

Matt is doing a STERLING job on hardware reviews but he is just one man, and Gareth should be commended by his willingness to interact with the rest of the readers, but it would be nice if some of the other guys popped in to chat rather than just post and dash.

Its my opinion that some of the GPU/SSD/CPU reviews are only ok. They are fine, but thoroughly outclassed by both the TechReport (Scott Wasson in particular) and Anandtech. I would argue that instead of trying to compete (graphics cards reviews are dime a dozen anyway), BT should focus on what it does best - unique, niche and cutting edge PC hardware. Watercooling pump roundups, radiator fan roundups, acoustic dampening foam reviews, scroll saw reviews, modding guides, SFX PSU roundups, fan controllers, sound cards, and gaming headsets. These are all underserved by high quality hardware review sites. Though I'm sure there are plenty of readers who would disagree, I personally would rather eat mouldy cheesecake than read another SSD review - just looking numbers tell me everything I need to know.

17. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

18. Meanmotion

Hi Parge,

What would you like to know? As mentioned above, I've been a forum member and reader for 10 years. I'll also add that I've worked with and consider very good friends the original (when it first went professional) team that started bit-tech. With me wanting a new challenge in my career bit-tech was a natural fit.

As to my plans for the site, we clearly see eye to eye on many things as it's the community-centric aspects of the site that really set it apart. And certainly I'd somewhat agree that yet another SSD review is not the most engaging content. But, I think there's a balance to be struck between providing what the community wants, predicting what the community might like and actively attracting a broader audience.

In other words, you may all ask for modding content now but I have to predict that if all we did was modding content people would complain about the lack of hardware reviews, so I have to predict that pattern. Then also I'd like to ensure the site plugs the other gaps in that modding/gaming/enthusiast scene which I feel is far broader than just PC modding - I want the site to feel like the one destination anyone that's into tech tinkering will need to visit. Stuff like adding - and don't hold me to this - phone/tablet/laptop reviews and guides on how to mod them, tool reviews, more peripheral reviews (headsets, speakers networking, graphics tablets etc), software tweaks, console hacks, some sciency stuff (that's a technical term) and many of the things you mention like SFX PSU reviews.

As I say, don't hold me to any of that, as I'm still getting the lay of the land, but that's the broad plan. Now if only Dennis would double my budget...

19. Meanmotion

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As for plans for the site, if you could include Captcha or some other human detection tool in the new member sign-up process, so we don't get spammed to death with spambot accounts, that would be grand.