1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel unveils Crystal Forest networking platform

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 15 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Jqim

Jqim What's a Dremel?

Computer things had funny names.

3. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

sounds interesting, for a long time now internet has represented the vast majority of computer usage, but networking operations have been a side thought in the overall system design. by the looks of this i'd say it aims to shift the workload off the network controller, and place it on the CPU, allowing for the implementation of more robust software.

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

How do they get from "30 minutes of video uploaded to the internet every minute" (which I think is a massive lowball - surely YouTube alone accounts for a huge amount more than this?!) to "five years of video every second" in the space of 3 years? That's an increase of over five million fold! And if the video is 1 Mb/s (low estimate in current age of HD, no?) then you'd need aggregate upload bandwidth of 157 Tb/s to shift that much data. And who will be putting online the 20 Terabytes of storage you'd need to add every second just to store that much data?

5. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Ars Technica had an excellent article a week or so ago on massive storage (Facebook, Amazon, etc.) Someone from Amazon stated they add as much storage space to their systems (mostly their cloud) every day as the entire operation ran on back in '01. Granted, that 365-fold in 11-ish years, but look at the the curve of technology itself - it's a logarithmic scale. So, maybe this was a mis-statement/typo, but I'd call it possible. Look at the ridiculous number of pics posted to FB every day. "Here's the bacon I'm having for breakfast", "Here's a pointless pic I took from the train on the way to work", "Here's 40 shots of me and my BFF making duckface in my dirty bathroom mirror" (seriously - can't one single person at least bust the Windex out before taking pics in the mirror?) and on and on.

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yes, but let's put this into context. My broadbrush calculation of 20 TB/s means users uploading 1,728,000 TB per day of data. Facebook has 850 million users. For Facebook to use even 1% of that 1,728,000 TB per day (that is 17,280 TB per day) it would need EVERY SINGLE ONE of those 850m users to upload 20 MB of data every day. There are I'm sure some users who do upload that sort of volume of data, but massively in the minority. And that would just be for the biggest website in the world to use just 1% of the claimed "5 years of video every second".

I'd just like to see the source of the numbers.

7. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Put it this way. If those numbers were correct, at any one point in time, 5-6% of all people with internet access worldwide would be uploading video to the internet.
    If you make the assumption that worldwide, about a third of the people are asleep at any one point in time, putting the estimate up to about 10% of awake people uploading stuff to the internet.

So, we thus realise that the article concludes that by 2015, we will each spend about 6 minutes per awake hour uploading video to the internet.

I'm pretty sure the article meant 5 hours a second. Much more manageable, and realistic.

Tags: Add Tags