1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google funds computer science teacher training

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 24 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Admittedly el Goog has a vested interest in acquiring more and better CompSci engineers, but IMO this program can only be a good thing.

Investment in furthering and expanding children's early education is going to be vital for the UK economy in 15-20-40 years. It would be nice if other industries contributed to charitable education institutions in a similar manner - it would be just as bad if suddenly, 50% of school leavers wanted to do Computer Science.

3. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

I sure wish they would do the same for the US education system, it could certainly use it. In high school and middle school we had zero courses to teach the finer points of computer usage, much less programming. what's worse is that my state is one of the best for education, and my high school was among the best in the country. I only graduated high school two years ago, so it likely has not improved since then.

I find CompSci education to be lacking all around, not just at the elementary levels. I have never met anyone who was drawn to computer science by an educational program, it's always self-motivated. If we could just teach children to use their computers effectively at a young age, I'm sure mankind as a whole would become more productive.

Although, if everyone starts learning to use a computer properly, many of us geeks might have to get real jobs since nobody will pay us to fix the "Magic Box" by running a virus scan. DEATH TO GOOGLE!!!

4. nuc13ar

nuc13ar What's a Dremel?

I would expect nothing less from Google. They are the competing branch. I found computer science to be boring though, game design/content creation is where its at for me :)

Tags: Add Tags