1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Is this pre watercooled case good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by streetuk, 18 Feb 2011.

1. streetuk

streetuk What's a Dremel?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-023-OE

Spec:

Mainboard : Asus P8P67 DELUXE
    Chipset : Intel Sandy Bridge
    Processor : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3400MHz OC @ 4.5Ghz
    Physical Memory : 8192MB (4 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
    Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

I'm wanting to cool the GPU and CPU, would this pre watercooled case be good?

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

It's a great case for watercooling. Although I think a 360mm rad may not be enough (not sure on this, don't know what the heat output for these new CPUs and GPUs are like). May be worth buying all the parts separately. May work out cheaper.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It's not a bad price although as mars-bar-man has suggested it's worth pricing up the components separately. The block and radiator are very good and the pump/reservoir combo is OK although I'd be concerned that pump vibes would be transferred to the case.

A triple rad should be OK for that heatload although you'd have to add in another £65-75 for an 580 waterblock.

4. streetuk

Thanks, the reason why I like it is it's already set up and leak tested.

5. streetuk

I read on the OcUK forums that its around £20 cheaper than to buy it all separately.

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

That maybe the case, but if you want to add the GTX580 block, you'll have to drain the system, then add more tubing etc. Then leak test your self.

See, already working out cheaper, all they're doing is removing some of the fun of building it.

7. streetuk

Is it too difficult to build a water cooled system? I've built my last two pcs myself, it didn't go as smooth as I'd hoped but they were fine in the end.

8. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I'd say that if you aren't quite confident enough, going with the pre-setup case is a great idea. The kit used is good, the case is great. A 360 rad wouldn't be enough for all of those components, however, the 2600K will have no problem getting to around 4.5GHz on air, so if you were to take the processor block out of the equation and make your own setup with water cooled graphics cards only, you should be good to go.

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

It's not difficult to do at all. Get stuck on something? There's a wealth of knowledge out on the web. A lot of it right here as well.

You just need to double check, then recheck everything. Seems daunting at first, but it's totally safe as long as you're sensible.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=201254 <- Read that. Then read it again.

I threw myself in at the deep end when I built my first WC rig. Read a few guides then threw myself into it. Not a single issue.

Can't get enough of watercooling now, ITX rig fully WC'd will attest to that!

streetuk likes this.
  10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

somthing that has been leaktested then stuck in a box and lugged around by a courier needs leaktesting again tbh

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

QFT. I wouldn't trust anyone else's leak testing anyways.

12. Big Elf

The TDP of the GTX580 is 244W and an overclocked Sandybridge maybe around 160W (guessing) so a triple rad should handle that and have decent temps with 1800 rpm fans.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2011
  13. streetuk

That's what i was worried about. Think I'll just do this myself when I finish uni and i have loads of spare time lol

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That rad will be fine :) it's comparible to a XSPC RX 360, and a guy on here (Dead Beat I think) uses one to cool 2 580's, so it should easily cools a SB and a 580 :) What I'd do it pop them an email and ask for a price including a GPU block. The problem is that then you'd have to fit the block to the card... urg, hassle. So one way will be difficult, the other, opening up the loop to put in your own block, voids the warranty which defeats the purpose of buying a prebuilt kit like this.

I just added it up (using their own site, but stuff will be cheaper else where) and you save £40, not including the fluid... Which is not shown on their site, which worries me... Distilled water can be had for £4 for 5L though. So it's a saving of £36 from the stock on their site... Make of that as you will... (I've never bought watercooling gear fron them as otherplaces are cheaper).

And thanks to mars-bar-man for linking to my threasd, I'm glad people appreciate it :)

Last edited: 18 Feb 2011
  15. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

My bad, I thought it said SLI xD

Don't listen to me :D

16. streetuk

I think Overclockers are quite good with custom builds, I wonder if they'll add the GPU block for me so I don't have to do it. The more i say things like that makes me think more and more that i want to do it myself :wallbash: I'll see what they say anyway.

Thanks everyone. :D

17. Big Elf

At some point, 6-12 months down the line, you're going to have to drain and clean the loop so it helps if you know how it's all put together and the simple stuff like refilling and bleeding. Although it may appear daunting at first it's quite straightforward and you can just take your time with it.

18. streetuk

Has anyone had any experience with a silverstone FT02B with watercooling? Thats my current case, would prefer it if i didn't have to spend money on a brand new case again. It's not too much of a problem though, I wanted to turn my old build into a server so i could always put that in my FT02B and get a new case for my new sandbybridge build.

19. Big Elf

I think you'd have to use an external rad with the FT02 and probably have to drill tubing holes somewhere in the back although after a quick look at some piccies it might look untidy.

20. streetuk

Is the Silverstone TJ07 as good as they say Big Elf? Been on custom pcs crazy but cool pc build for years! (seems like it anyway)