1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Tapping in 2mm aluminium

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Parge, 31 Jan 2013.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Guys, just need a tap and die for a scratch build.

Having never used one before, would I be ok using it to tap 2mm aluminium, and would this one do the job?

Ta :dremel:

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

It's very basic, but it'll do the job. 2mm aluminum is perfectly fine for tapping aswell. I used 1.5mm aluminum before and there was no problem tapping it either.

Just make sure that you don't buy pure aluminum as it's very soft. 6061 or 6082 is what you're looking for.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

and a can of wd40

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

And remember, go slow

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Firstly try it out on a couple of test piece to make sure you get the hang of it.

'half turn forwards quarter turn back' to quote my engineering tutor - helps clear any swarf out of the tap so you will get a cleaner thread at the end :)

6. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

or go and get some flush nuts and press it into the holes...

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

What size fastener did you want to tap it for? For larger/coarser threads, threaded inserts might give you better results. 2mm is kind of thin.

8. Guest-279805

Guest-279805 Guest

I've done a bit of tapping in 2mm aluminium recently, and I experienced the opposite to what Stuey suggested - my smaller threads came out worse! Granted, I only tried M3, M4 and M5.

The M3 worked, but after putting a bolt in and out several times, the threads wore away - they were too small to be able to stand the bolt being tightened. M4 worked perfectly, although eventually it might do the same as M3 threads. M5 was almost the largest thread I would want to try - maybe M6 or M7 would be the limit. Eventually you wouldn't have enough threads in the aluminium to hold the bolt - the M5 bolts were a little wobbly as-is.