1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics MSI 770gtx squeaking on 3D Mark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jopers1986, 8 Aug 2014.

1. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

Bit-techers,

Bit of advice please if you'd all oblige? Build a new PC a while back and has been going swimmingly, not done any heavy gaming on it, mainly Payday, Halflife etc.

But today i downloaded 3D Mark, and the graphics made a strange squeaking/vibrating sound. Pretty sure it was GFX as between tests, when the screen was blank, it stopped. Could this be down to the way I've set it up? or is it a problem? While it was running, i put a finger on the heatpipe and it was HOTHOTHOT!

Any advice appreciated!

Much Love,

Rich

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The heat pipes are meant to be hot dude. That's because they're transferring heat from a plate, into the fins, where a greater surface area dissipates the heat faster. Nearly all coolers these days have heat pipes.

The high pitch squeal is called coil whine and it happens when there's a huge amount of frames being processed. It's completely normal. :)

3. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

haha yeah i get the purpose of heatpipes... :thumb:they just seem TOO hot, but tbh, this is my first build in about 8 years, and from looking around, things do seem to run hotter under load these days.

Cool, if it's normal, I'll relax my arse a bit. it's quite annoying though!

Cheers!!!

4. TheMadDutchDude

They're taking the entire load of the GPU through them which will definitely make them hot. If your GPU is at 80c, the pipes are probably 60 degrees or more.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I get the same squeal with my GTX 780 Ti and it ONLY happens when running 3DMark!

It never happens when playing games so in everyday use it's nothing to worry about.

6. TheMadDutchDude

It's because the frame rate between the tests is unregulated and shoots into the thousands. :)

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

it's coil whine

8. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

sounds like coil whine to me also, nothing to worry about apart from the noise being anoying

9. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

Aces! thanks for the advice all, appreciated! So long as it only does it on 3D Mark... and my headset blokes it out!