1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling First Water Cooling Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by will_123, 16 Feb 2011.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I have built quite a few pc's but never one with water cooling i have only decided to do this recently as i have a GTX480 in my current setup and it causing alot of heat esp since i added a second monitor. I have tweaked it so the fans are going full tilt and this keeps it cool but my ear drums are bleeding everytime i sit down to use the pc as its so loud at first i thought i could deal with it but now i have decided i cant...which leads me on to water cooling.

I have been doing a little research on what components i need and how it all works and here is what i have. I just need advice on what to go for so if this is totally wrong then please tell me.

This what i have just now:

i7 930
    GTX 480
    Kingston 4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Antec 900 Case
    Antec 800W
    Artic Freeze Pro Rev2

This is what im planning on buying for water cooling loop.

EK-FC480 GTX - For GPU
    Watercool HK CPU LGA1366 Rev. 3 - For CPU
    XSPC RX240 Black - radiator X 2
    Pump - ?
    Reservoir - ? if needed?
    Tubing - Help totally confused on sizes??

I have been looking at how people secure there tubing and have seen many diffrent ways in you opinion what would be the best?

If anybody could give me some help with this its been greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could advise on large cases that can accommodate such cooling loops it would be grateful I have looked at antec P182/P183 either look large! And i assume could hold this?

Thanks
    William

2. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

This might be below you but he explains tubing and all th ID/OD everything, easier than writing an essay on here tbh.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6qpkigby5w
    skip to about 5:40, thats where the tubing bit is:) Enjoy.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Last edited: 17 Feb 2011
  4. will_123

Thanks for the comments. Just out of interest could either of you advise any cases that would be good for water cooling? I noticed your Antec 300 improvements thread which was interesting. May have a look at my case. I have a picture of what i want in my head whether it can be done we shall see.

Thanks
    William

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

best case for water cooling is still the silverstone tj07, but theres also the haf x or the corsair 800d, and I'm about to do my first water cooled project in an antec 1200, obviously not renowned for its good water cooling, more of an air cooled case, but with a bit of modding I think I can fit a 360 and 240 rad inside. Personally I'd say the tj07, but as they go for about £240 on scan, just depends how much you want to spend really.

When you say securing tubing I assume you mean fittings, compression or barbs? I'm using compression fittings for my loop, mainly because I don't really trust barbs, and I really like how compression fittings look, I'm going to use these http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product...3-4-compression-fitting-G1-4---knurled--.html expensive, but I love them.

I know you haven't said how much you have to spend for the setup in total, but about the best pumps you can buy are the laing or swiftech d5 vario pumps, about £90 on aquatunning http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product...o-1-2-tubing-connector--Swiftech-MCP655-.html or if you post a bit more on here you'll open up the marketplace (75 posts i believe) I just recently purchased a swifttech mcp655 for £60 from there with pre-braided cables, in perfect condition.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2011
  6. will_123

Just had a look at that case it looks good but i really dont want to pay £230ish for a case that seems a bit much in my opinion. I think im going to have a look at modding the inside of my case. To fit this.... I really want to have a radiator at the top and bottom of the case. but im not sure if the case will house that much kit inside of it.

7. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

You 'could' always switch to a larger rad & externally mount it using something like the Phobya radiator stands...

it's what i've done with both of my machines (one using a Black Ice GTX 360 & the other a 480 - i use fast fans as my wants are for cooling not silence) &, along with it being somewhat more efficient in cooling than internally mounting, means you can use any case that has a couple of tube outlets at the back.

8. will_123

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2011/02/08/phobya-design-a-case-competition/6

i have really taken to this design with 2 radiators at top and bottom i think im going to go with that i just need to pick a case that can accommodate that. The case i have just now the antc 900 is not large enough to take the 2 radiators. Want to keep everything inside the case dont want to mount anything on the back or front.

the thetrashcanman had advised a few cases for water cooling but i am willing to get the dremel out and give the case a good beasting if it avoids £240 for a case. What cases are large enough without eating into the cash for water cooling setup?

Thanks
    William

9. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

None.

10. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

11. will_123

No i really do want to keep it all inside the case. If that's the case im going to have to splash out on a case then. i have been looking at the corsair 600T. Which looks to be pretty large with already built in hole mounts at the top for 240 rad. Looks like its around £130.

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I really don't think 2x240 rads are necessary for a 480 and a 930. Sure you're running hot hardware, but I run a 940 and a 280 off a full thickness double rad and the temps for both GPU and CPU never climb above 50 °C. Finding a case that supports 2x240 = expensive. Finding one that supports 1x240 and 1x120 = easy.

13. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

As baz said you don't really need two 240's, one 360 would be good I'd say, or maybe a 240 and a 120, you could probably fit that inside the 900 couldn't you? If not I'd say look at the 1200 if you don't want to spend loads of money on a new case, A guy from these here forums is selling one on flebay at the moment http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antec-1200-Tw...mponents_RL&hash=item2eb334dffb#ht_500wt_1156

edit: sorry i missed the last bit of baz's post, but as he said and as I Stupidly repeated finding a case to fit one 240rad and one 120 is much easier than what you thought about doing.

14. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

If you decide to go for the TJ07 the way i would think of the case is that it is not cheap, but it is well made and durable so because of this you will probably get 3 or more builds in it, if you see what i mean.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2011
  15. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

Think space for rad, pump, res and tubing!!
    Also think dust protection

16. will_123

Thanks for all the advice. Im not going to rush into it going to take my time and get the right kit just been trying to look at a lot of other builds with water cooling to see what everyone else has been using for their builds. Publ!c Enemy i know what you mean the case would be a good investment in the long run. Just that is a lot of money for a case tbh i spent like £80 on my case around 5 years ago and have not used another one since and have not even looked at cases since then so that's why its a bit of a shock to me.

What size of tubing do you use in your builds? i would assume the wider the better, for more water flow. I had a good look into my 900 last night and i don't think i would be able to fit everything so i am definitely going to get another case. Spent most of last night looking at cases big enough to house everything i dont want anything on the outside of the case want to have it all internal.

Going to get on the hunt for nicely priced large case!

Thanks
    William

17. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

Colossus ? Isn't it relatively cheap. No idea on if it's any good for watering tho.

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It wasn't Pete_J, it was me!!!! :thumb:

And the HAF 932 is...

List of cases for 360mm rads are:

CM HAF 932 & HAF X
    CM ATCS 840
    Corsair 800D
    Silverstone TJ07 & TJ11
    The NZXT Phamtom is rumored to be re-released soon with a mount for a 360mm rad in the roof

Hope this helps :)

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

A thousand apologies to the right Pete, I got the wrong one... :wallbash:

Post edited.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Tis k :)