1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High pitched whine coming from Pump - Coolermaster Nepton 280L

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by x5pilot, 30 Oct 2014.

1. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Hi guys,
    I recently upgraded my system to an X99 rig taking the opportunity to install my first watercooling solution.
    The AIO kit I went with was Coolermasters Nepton 280L as it had great reviews and addressed one of the key requirements I had which was noise reduction.
    Along with the AIO Ive installed a whisper quiet SuperFlower Leadex 650W PSU, an MSI GTX970 and a single Corsair AF120 fan extracting from the top of a new Silverstone FT05 case.
    Everything works perfectly - the system is staggeringly quiet and fans spin up only when required - however except for one thing...
    There is a very annoying high pitched whine that seems to be coming from the Coolermaster Pump which i understand to be integrated into the CPU block.
    I suspect this is just the way it is :sigh: and is just more noticeable as the rest of the system is so quiet but thought I'd check here if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions?
    I'm still in my 30day window to return the item (thank you Amazon!) but wondering now if I'll ever achieve a near silent rig!?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

AIO pumps are usually pretty quiet in operation, unless they are faulty. Make use of your 30 day window and try a replacement.

3. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I've never had that type but I've had a couple of block-mounted pumps, both were essentially silent. I'd try a replacement also.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

4. x5pilot

Thanks guys, I may go down that route then.
    I've been reading various things about the type of power connector - eg 3 pin v 4 pin and that how they are connected maybe an issue...
    The AIO uses 4 pin plugs which connect straight to my motherboard 4pin CPU pin (Asus X99S) with the BIOS set to Auto - I'm guessing this is not an issue but thought I'd float though here to see if anyone has any further thoughts?

5. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Is there any settings in your bios or software that is adjusting fan speed? If it's using a fan header it may be getting a pwm signal it doesn't like. Do you have a Molex to fan connector you can try it on?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

One way to find out for definite if its the AIO. Unplug it. It will only take a few seconds to work out if its the pump. You won't do the CPU any harm. If the noise is still there you know it's a different problem. Could even be cap whine from the mobo.

7. x5pilot

Thanks for suggestion - this is actually the first thing I did, and yes it did stop the whine, so I know its the pump unit.
    I've actually ordered another AIO which will arrive today - I'll test it before replacing the current installed unit.

MarkVarley:
    The Bios is an all singing version - Asus X99S with all sorts of various options. I have it set at default "AUTO" for the QFan configuration. Fan is registering over 7000rpm but suspect this is down to the fact its a pump and not a fan.
    I'd prefer to leave the Pump plugged into the dedicated CPU Fan header - purely for monitoring reasonsz although I will try dig out a Molex adapter and try bypassing the Motherboard option.

Thanks again guys