1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Sooth my nerves - H100 went bang

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HandMadeAndroid, 5 Feb 2012.

1. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Hey there, I decided to use my old 600t case so I decanted my system into it. It's only a week old and when I first got it I noticed the molex connection on the H100 was quite loose. Upon reinitialisation the molex prongs became even looser with the metal now above the plug risking a short. The pins wouldn't resit properly and would come out. I tried to get them to stay in and unfortunately lost track of which pin went where as both came out. I put them back in thinking the worse that could happen would be the polarity of the pump would be reversed(all the wires are the same colour). When I started the system the pump went bang and a little plume of smoke came out. I used the case power switch to quickly power down. I've ordered another H100 in the meantime and I should get that on Tuesday. You may be asking yourself why at this stage. Well I can't afford and have little desire to build a complete water loop. Plus no other LGA2011 cooler will fit because of the size of the RAM coolers. I have found the H100 to be shoddy, the fans are unusable due to noise, the LGA2011 bracket is very difficult to get the heat plate/pump onto as the holes on the unit are slightly misaligned and not forgetting the poor molex connectors. As a result of all this I'm worrying between now and Tuesday.....what's the worse that could have happened? The system was on for a matter of seconds and everything else was still powered on after the pump went bang plus the case switch still worked. Could any other components have been damaged? The CPU (3930k), HX850 power supply? Could it have taken the 12 volt line out with it on the HX? Also do I have a chance with RMA to Corsair for the H100? If not anyone want to buy a radiator :lol:

Hope all this costs me is 80 quid for a H100 and few folk laughing at my expense :naughty:

[​IMG]

Edit: I was on the floor at the time not looking at the screens :(

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

It's a Corsair PSU, so the OCP and short protection should be well above par, so much so that the PSU laughed off that short, HDDs shouldn't've taken a battering off it, Motherboard should, in theory, be fine. Worst you might've done is damaged the molex itself when it went bang. H100s do seem to be having issues recently, from what I've heard though, Melting controller boards and now exploding entirely due to awful wiring designs.

Tl;dr: Everything should be okay.

As an idea; Test the PSU. Take a paperclip, connect to green and black cables on the 24pin connector, it'll jump-start the PSU> Check that anything running of the 12V rail (Fans, mostly. HDDs and Disk drives rely on the 5V if I remember correctly) all spin. If so; it's all fine!

The PSU will only keep running so long as the green and black lines are shorted, so it's easy enough to turn it off, remove paperclip. I think that's a 3.3v line, anyway, so you're in no danger of electrocution unless you do something very wrong.

Could've been entirely possible that you crossed your ground and live lines, in which case; it would nuke the H100, but everything else would just laugh at it for exploding. The PSU should have insulated everything else against the damage, it would just be a momentary voltage spike when the H100 went, before the circuit was broken. (By the H100 ceasing to work internally) So short the PSU, it'll tell you if all your HDDs, drives and Fans work, at least.

HandMadeAndroid likes this.
  3. HandMadeAndroid

Thanks for the quick helpful reply, rep+ Based on what you said and also the fact that the remaining components were still working I'm presuming the power supply is fine. I hear you about the H100. I always trusted Corsair when it came to power supplies. I found the 600t to be visually pleasing, but the cooling is useless at stock. And now the cooler. There's not much choice for LGA2011 coolers....it's a conspiracy lol their RAM is higher than all their competitors forcing you to buy the cooler:eyebrow:

4. .//TuNdRa

That or Intel just instantly assumes that everyone who goes SB-E will be running a complete custom watercooling loop. Good in theory; A bugger in practice.
    I'd still jump-start the PSU to check, I highly doubt you managed to overload the PSU, but it'd still be worth it to double-check that everything else spins, at least.

5. HandMadeAndroid

It used to be simple as getting a heatsink lol, and if you weren't flush you used the free one.

6. .//TuNdRa

I think the Thermalright Archon might be just thin enough to fit, but it's not as good as a H100 for cooling. That's as far as I can see regarding Heatsinks, though. Everything else is just too boxy.

7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Using the wrong power connector on my gpu once killed a gtx 480, an 128gb ssd and a rampage ii extreme in one hit. Psu was corsair but lived to tell the story.

Fingers crossed matey

8. HandMadeAndroid

9. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

If the H100 took out all those, RMA it but state it took out everything else.
    Remember DON'T BIN ANYTHING.....................
    They will more then likely replace the H100, and give a partial refund on the system parts which have failed, but they will need to test them.

I explained to them my H50 took out motherboard, CPU and memory, and that I had thrown them away, but they still asked for them (idiots).

10. HandMadeAndroid

I agree...computers fine though but had the same problems with the molex pins popping out on the new one, it's really shoddy and risks causing a short. I've taped it over with insulation tape though. I'm going to email corsair. :thumb:

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I was debating getting an H100... this story has not encouraged me. Was dubious about it anyway given that CoolIT seems to be the OEM/ODM for the H100, and I saw the storm caused when Bit-Tech did a review of a CoolIT all-in-one watercooler that was pants a few years ago. While they might have pulled their socks up... I remain cautious.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The new range of Corsair coolers are made by CoolIT...

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yeah, I thought I said that... thanks for confirming it, though. Remain of the 'don't touch with bargepole' mindset. ;)

15. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

To be fair to CoolIT, their own H100-like all in one uses 3 pin fan connectors for the pump rather than molex. I'm really surprised Corsair went with a molex connector, given how rubbish they are.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The good ones are the Antec Kuler coolers as the'y're made bt Aska (or however its spelt), the OME that made the H50 and H70 (the good Corsair coolers)

17. HandMadeAndroid

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That thermalright looks thin and my only TRUE 120 was fine with my Reaper HPC RAM...

19. .//TuNdRa

The archon is thin. It's half the width of a Frio. So you could probably squeeze it in there. It only ever overhung the first of my ram sockets on AM3+, so it might just clear it on SB-E.

20. healthhazad

healthhazad What's a Dremel?

Ouch!

Your build is remarkably similar to mine. Found that the H100 is OK but the pump sounds like a hard drive accessing data which is a little annoying... The cooling does seem to be alright though.

I have seen that some cooler manufacturers advise unscrewing the fins on the dominator RAM to make space - when I felt them they didn't seem warm though to be fair I hadn't been hammering the machine.