1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ drops 150 product lines, sacks staff

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Nov 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

This isn't actually anything particularly new, but a continuation of their existing business plan - get out of low-margin, commodity products like RAM and jump into lucrative high-margin products such as SSDs where branding has a more significant.

Corsair's been following the same pattern too, having diversified into...well pretty much everything!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd say that sacking damn-near a third of the workforce is a pretty new strategy!

4. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Here in Portugal it has become a trend to fire all the workforce by shutting down and declare bankrupcy. Some people want the easy way, bow down instead of struggling and push forward.
    What I would like to know in the detail are the products categories and, if possible, which ones.

5. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I'd say a large portion of their losses are down to returns. I've sent back 10 Vertex drives in the last 5 months.

6. Makaveli

Makaveli What's a Dremel?

So if their products are such crap why do you keep buying them?

7. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

150 lines Good christ, how many pies do these guys have their fingers in?

Always a shame when a company gets itself in trouble - not for the company, for the whole lot of people that are about to be out of a job. I hope OCZ does right by them.

And, yeah, frosty, what the hell? If it's a company I'm rabidly loyal to (Asus, G.Skill) they'd get a pass a time or two. Otherwise, you get about one shot with me (AMD video cards - never again.)

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Prices. I daresay that OCZ drives just have spotty reliability. It's a shame really as they're priced beyond reasonably well and they do perform decently. It's just that they're horrifically unreliable.