1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD Data corruption following accidental unplug

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TheStockBroker, 26 Nov 2009.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

A now sordid evening in the Broker household.

I made the mistake of unplugging an external SATA hard drive (USB not ESATA) while it was powered on and connected to my computer. I quickly rectified my mistake, however, now - while the disc shows all the files previously on the drive; it fails to load any of them; with each corresponding application giving an appropriate error.

I'm confused and annoyed as to how this happened, considering no files on the drive were opened, or being accessed - the drive was just idling & given the speed with which I reconnected the power, surely not every of my 320Gb of files could be affected? [which they are].

As the drive is an external one, Win 7 won't allow the checking for the disc for errors.

I thought that perhaps it was something wrong with the filesystem (in line with my comment about how every single file was affected) - how would I go about confirming this, and indeed solving my little dilemma, a lot of the files are irreplaceable!

My regards, and thanks in advance.

TSB

2. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

just going to throw some ideas in (probably wont be of any use, but hey, i tried)

can you copy them from the external drive onto your main drive and try opening there?

can you access them through a dos prompt?

what about removing the drive from the casing and plugging it inside the PC?

sorry not much help :(

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

How irreplaceable are they?

This has the signs of a very expensive recovery.

Turn the drive off (safely) and don't turn it back on until you answered my question (and had a response)

4. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

run cmd.
    CD to the highest level of the external drive (ie E:\ or F:\)
    enter in "chkdsk /f" (no quotes) and it MIGHT ask you to reboot to perform this action. It will for sure if you try chkdsk /f on the OS partition.

anyway, yeah, try that. It may take a while for it to go through but I think this may work.