1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning MKII Concepts - Epic resurrection!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Archer, 22 Jan 2013.

1. Archer

Archer Talga Vassternich - Deserve Victory

Aaaand I'm back (after much lurking in the background) :D

Lately I've been thinking of getting a smaller case, the one I made last time feels too big now. So the basic idea is mATX, cables out the top, air in the bottom, and everything else where there is space.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently I've got a 180.2 rad in there, mostly because its a perfect fit. Just enough space beyond the motherboard on each side for PSU (right) and pump and HDDs/SSDs (left). I really want to stick with the MCP655 because I'm a silence nutcase :D But darn it, that thing really is huge! But something doesnt look quite right to me... :worried: Or maybe I've just been looking at it for way to long! Let me know what you think of the layout, rad choice, anything really - there is always room for improvement :)

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Res design is cooool., but I think it needs a middle partition, so water doesn't just go straight in from the GPU and then straight out into the pump.. Just a small strip of acrylic, or even a wave design would be awesome.

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

No dvd player? I guess that's fine, but I mention it in case you didn't consider it and just forgot :)

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I haven't had one installed in my latest build for the last 6 months..

Only really need one to install Windows now as I get everything digitally instead.

5. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

True. But I use mine from time to time (older games, mainly), and while I definitely understand not needing one, it is something that's easily overlooked while drafting the concept, so I thought I'd mention it, so he can consciously dismiss it.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I have it in my desk, and if I want to use it for a DVD, I just pull off the side panel, hook it up and go..

7. Archer

The res is not quite done yet, I have been trying to think of a good way to redirect the flow between the inlet and outlet, but nothing has stuck yet. But I do know I need a partition of sorts, thanks :thumb: I'll try out a wave tonight

Nope, no DVD (even windows I install via USB, much quicker). I havent used the one in my current rig once, so I'm not going to add it in again. But thanks for the reminder nonetheless :) I do however still need to find a spot for the USB ports, probably on the angled section of the front panel near the bottom

And the overall shape? I'm not very creative, so I've tried to keep it simple, but just a little different. I think the angled panels do a good job of it. What say you all (maybe it needs a render with more light to actually see it haha)

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

People should forget about internal optical drives alltogether. If needed the external USB/eSATA-devices do the job just as good. I've not installed an internal optical drive for the last 5 years now and simply share my external USB DVD-RW between all my machines.
    The 5.1/4" bays is what I hate most about buyable cases, as they're a waste of space really. My Define Mini could be 100mm shorter if it wouldn't be for the silly optical drive bays.

Anyways. I would recommend planning with a little bit of more spareroom between the parts, as you'll need some room for installing and maintenance.
    Also make sure to have enough support-struts and all aluminum-sheets folded to increase overall strength.

9. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

every time when i see II in thread title i imagine cosmos 2 and when i've read that last case were too big i was confused a little :)

for project:
    love that design and MB placement - my current "custom" inspired by raven2/ft cases and next build will be the same!
    i'd place drives at the back of MB tray - no need to dismantle loop and whole case to swap HDD and a bit easier cable managment
    and move res upper to have access to MB i/o (button/led pinouts, usb etc. and of course clear_cmos jumper :) )
    and i've consider fan near MB VRM...
    just my $0.02

10. Archer

Thats on my final checkover list - clearances. I dont mind things being snug though. And I should be good for strength, using 10mm bar to build a frame on the back, front and behind the motherboard. Not sure how I'll connect it yet, but likely something simple like an angle bracket

Haha, the motherboard placement is a big part of what I like as well :D
    Currently, I'm mounting the drives on one side only, and they will slide out the top (top panel needs to be off of course). So it'll look like they are suspended in mid air. But I do like the idea of having it behind the motherboard. I'll have to revisit it.

On another note... I wonder if I should try connect the GPU directly into the reservoir with a male to male fitting... I'll get a screenshot up after work that should explain it

11. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

direct connecting gpu to res is interesting idea!
    i'd use smth. like this

12. Archer

I was thinking more on the GPU to res connection, and I've scrapped it. Its too dependant on the exact location of the ports on the GPU, and I want my res to exactly where it is, so there is zero wiggle room on either side.

Still need to get around to trying out some of the suggestions... Will update again once I've had a proper look into those :)

13. Archer

This idea is going to go on the backshelf for now :sigh: I simply dont have much faith in the fans required (180mm) as I am primarily after silence, secondary objective being an air to water delta of less than 15°C. I think the delta will be easy, but getting there with minimal noise I'm not so sure about. Unless someone reading this can chime in and convince me otherwise?

So I'm going to try something different with a 3.120, 3.140 or 2x2.120 rad and go from there... to be continued!

14. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

The bigger the fan, the lower sound it makes for given amount of air it pushes...

15. Archer

My worry is that because the fans are horizontal the fans will "growl" at low speeds (looking at the silverstone 180's, ones a sleeve bearing, other is a double ball bearing). Or is this bad research on my part?

16. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Only with the cheap/bad fans (I think), but any sleeve bearing fan is going to suffer from hanging horizontal. The better fans don't age that fast, however. I have noctua's (120mm). The one hanging horizontal has started to growl softly a few weeks ago. After four years of operation. I consider that good.

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Got any further with this?

18. Archer

Yip, I'm still working on it :) Decided to take the plunge and get the 180 fans, and if they are not as quiet as I want them to be, then I'll blame it all on alpaca :p

Right now I'm reworking the front from scratch, and throwing some ideas around in my head for the reservoir. I think the XSPC D5 res may actually work, but thats so boring in comparison to making a res! And I have placed a divider in, I'll get some pics up tonight hopefully

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nooo! Use a custom res. They are the win.

If the fans are too loud, you can always just bung in some 9/7/5v resistors to quieten them down .

20. Archer

So I've switched the front for a stack of perspex and aluminium sheets. It make the transition from the top and side panels much cleaner since I dont need to line up angled panels with 2 other angled panels. I still need to add much more detail (and fix up some of the gaps that are now there), but below is the basic idea. I'm hoping that I can get a decent spread of light behind the stack, that will come out along the edges, and of course through the front. And there is the old version at the bottom for reference...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]