1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Full cover waterblock dimensions ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bladesingerz, 25 Mar 2012.

1. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a full cover waterblock next time I buy a GPU.

The problem I have is that I only have less than 17 mm clearance above the card (its in a desk mod), so height is a problem here. Does any one know the dimensions of a full cover waterblock?

I'm thinking about getting a gtx570, with ek waterblocks. But most waterblocks will have similar dimensions I think.

So... What is the height of a fullcover GPU block from the PCB to the top.
    [​IMG]

~Blade

2. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

More than 17mm I would say from looking at mine. Especially when you take fittings into account too.

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

My BitsPower 570 is flush with the top of the card. With standard angled fittings it's 30mm above the card. Not sure if there are low profile fittings that would be that low.

A block of the form in your pic would be a bare minimum of 20 mm above the card, if the holes are close enough to the board for the fitting to screw in with no free space. So I think it unlikely that you would get a full cover block that will fit with only 17mm clearance.

A GPU only block with ramsinks might fit. It's more complex than a full-cover block for the same level of cooling, but if you are not overclocking heavily you would get away with passive ramsinks (some mini-blocks look cool, but it would need a lot of small tubing and a couple of adaptors)

4. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

Just measured my 580 ek block (same as the 570 block) and it sticks out over the top of the pcb by roughly 25mm.

5. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Hmm ok well I think I can lower my motherboard by an other 10mm, what fitting do you use mpe91? I was thinking of using bitspower multi-link sli or screw fittings

6. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

Using Bitspower 1/2" barbs at the moment, but these don't overhang the block. Also got some 3/4" OD compression fittings sitting here waiting to go in, and these only have a tiny overhang on the block. So unless those fittings are really big, they shouldn't be an issue.