1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Quiet(ish) case fans (120mm & 92mm)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yadda, 29 Mar 2017.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm thinking of swapping out the Corsair fans that came with my case for something quieter. They don't have to be the quietest fans in the world, and I'd rather they shifted a half-decent amount of air.

What are the ones to go for these days?

Thanks folks.

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

What Corsair fans are you using? I have a combo of SP and AF and wouldn't count either of them as particularly intrusive (not compared to the 1080 stock cooler, anyways...).

Been reading a lot of CPU cooler reviews lately, Scythe tends to top the sound/performance charts with their 1200RPM Slipstream fans being practically inaudible.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Noiseblocker Eloop. Just don't get the 2400 RPM ones :D

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Last edited: 30 Mar 2017
  5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Great stuff, thanks guys.

The Corsair fans I'm currently using are labelled "A1225L 12S-2".

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Stock fans corsair use on their cases tend to be pretty rubbish, however the AF [140mm in my case] SP [120mm] aftermarket ones I replaced them with didn't seem to be too bad...

The Silverstone [120mm] fan that came with my AR01, is loud when at full pelt, but at lower speed is fairly quiet. Keeps my CPU under control at least.

Had a few Noctuas [120mm] and whilst they were quiet, they had about all the air-moving grunt of a midge with breathing problems. They were the low-rpm models though.

7. Vault-Tec

I bought 12 Corsair AF LED fans for my big purple monster (fnarr) and they were cack. Within two months three of them (that had been running sideways) started farting like the bearings were going. They were also light, thin and very brittle. I know that with fans you are not supposed to sit around fondling them but when it comes to quality Eloops and Noctuas are just cut from a completely different cloth tbh. That said they are over twice the price I paid for my AFs, but I should not have skimped on fans in the first place because I ended up replacing them all with Cougar Vortex which were £20 each. Penny wise pound foolish tbh.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Handy to know, was looking at them for a similarly purple build.

9. Vault-Tec

There isn't much choice for purple LED fans sadly. That was why I bought them. Ended up changing the theme to orange.