1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lightpack lighting system seeks crowd funds

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Looks irritating, whether in Philips form or open source.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I can see how some people may really enjoy this. I think it'd work particularly well with larger screens where viewing them in a dark room is much harder to do. I feel like it'd help give a sense of peripheral vision, which would make the experience feel more immersible. Peripheral vision is basically non-existent on a regular screen.

4. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I think that looks utterly fantastic! I reckon that really would ease eyestrain, and so negate the (my) need for additional low lighting.

I've bookmarked their page, and assuming they go into production and sell for (roughly) their quoted price, I'll be buying their product.

Brilliant!

5. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I have a couple of cyborg gaming lights for my PC which are similar. It really does enhance the viewing experience. Great idea. I will buy some for my TV when they are available.

6. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I have an Ikea LED strip on the back of my monitor, means i can game in the dark without a) eye strain or b) reflections on the screen. Cost a tenner.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I use white LED light strips behind my TV. Eases eye strain without pissing me off by looking like a silly lava lamp behind my TV.

Sorry, rant over. That light show would really bother me. It's making me rage actually. Badly. Like some kind of hypnotic rage inducer. RAAAGE.

8. suragh

suragh Derp

Just what I was thinking.

I might invest in a strip for the back of my desk.

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I could see it in a club, maybe, but it strikes me as a bit gimmicky at home.

10. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Yeah seems like a bit of a gimmick. Maybe they'll improve it over time, but for now most of the time the colours didn't even match up for me. Also, I found that the lighting accentuated the massive black bezel of the TV screen which further ruined the immersion.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Looks very interesting. I won't be buying it though. I can't think what it's be like while my monitor isn't against the wall. :D

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

It seems very distracting to me. As the color morphs and the light alters shape, i found my eyes wandering to the edges of the screen instead of focusing on the screen content. I typically watch HD movies in the dark with one or two low level ambient sources of light in the room (nowhere near the tv). A consistent low level glow behind the screen would likely be fine (maybe red as opposed to white), but I would pass on a constantly shifting light.

13. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Yes, make quake even better with more brown! Rage here I come.

/sarcasm because it's the internetz.

14. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

On a screen with a thick bezel this seems distracting to me, a screen with a thin or no bezel would probably work really well with this.

15. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

Works if your television sits in front of a wall, alas mine is swivel-mounted. I can see the appeal, though.