1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Cheap Reliable 60GB SSDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 18 May 2014.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm in the process of overhauling my servers and would like to swap their OS's over to SSDs for a number of reasons but don't want to just plump for the cheapest SSDs available if they're rubbish.

I'd like some advice please on reliable but still cheap 60GB SSDs - I was looking at the Kingston SSDNow V300 but the word "Sandforce" sends shivers down my spine - should it still or have they sorted themselves out of late? If not, then what would be a good alternative?

Cheers

GK

2. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Sand force bugs are well in the past mate, benches will show not the fastest anymore but doubt you will tell in real world use. Fill your boots!

3. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Ps intel and Kingston are also very tight, their drives are usually very high quality.

4. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

What are you classing as cheap? What's your budget?

5. koola

koola Minimodder

6. GeorgeK

That's good to hear - cheers bud

Also very good to hear - I think I'll go for two of those V300s

Sub £40 if possible

That would nearly be perfect (and at an amazing price) but they're for WHS2011 which has an install size of about 35GB and it grows gradually to just over 40GB - I wouldn't want the hassle of having to deal with constant "Drive Space Low" warnings... Cheers anyway dude :)

7. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

8. GeorgeK

Yeah - but for a Server OS the remainder of the drive basically wouldn't get used... They're on Scan Today only for £35 so I think I'll save the £20 and buy some cheesecake with it instead :)

Edit: Ordered now - thanks for the help all - will rep later :)

Last edited: 19 May 2014
  9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Unless stupid cheap (or for some very specific specialized reason) I wouldn't even buy less than 120GB anymore. Even if you won't ever use the space you can always do extra OP.
    But... just to contradict myself I did buy a 60GB mushkin atlas yesterday (it was also stupid cheap on clearance) along with a msata hyperduo pci-e card. I wanted to free up the sata port my 2.5" system ssd was using so I could use all 6 onboard sata for storage hdd to allow me to set up 2x parity storage spaces.
    I was also looking at these other cards that had 4x msata and 4x sata 6gbps ports. I was really thinking about getting 4x cheap 32GB msata to use as cache for each disk but... it's pretty overkill stuff for at home.