1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware VIA Artigo A1100 Pico-ITX Kit Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 8 Sep 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Can't wait for the quad core version tbh!

3. Xir

Xir Modder

A Bicycle is seriously underpowered for Motorway use...

4. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I would love one of these paired with a 1tb laptop drive to replace my aging SABnzbd+ box. Oh well, you can but dream.

5. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

no vlc???????

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No video acceleration, so it would be running entirely on the CPU, meaning it would lag slower than a snail in treacle.

I've never understood VIA's driver policies - their EPIA boards were capable of DVD video acceleration, but this was never included in the Windows drivers and so was only available on Linux.

Now, they produce a board that is potentially capable of H.264 acceleration, but limit the drivers to only working with WMP.

I don't understand it, it's like they don't really want their products to succeed... :sigh:

7. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I wonder how it does under linux. I had half a mind to get one of these as a linux media centre a while ago.

8. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Hmm, even though 1080p video playback would be nice, I'm thinking this could be a viable candidate for my Fallout mod. :)

I was looking a previous ARTiGO setup, however this is a more robust barebone kit.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Keep in mind VIA is really popular in asia, and from what I noticed, most countries that don't mostly speak english tend to favor linux. I live in america and I'm one of the only people I know who uses Linux as a main OS.

Based on what I've seen for hardware specs, the Artigo is pretty good but terrible for Vista or Win7, but its fine for XP and sufficient for even the heaviest Linux distributions. I would not recommend Xubuntu though, thats a piece of crap distribution that completely fails at everything its supposed to do.

Couldn't have worded it better

10. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

You mentioned a mini USB port for connecting it to another computer, what is that for? Using it as an external drive?

edit: The manual isn't all that helpful: "The ARTiGO-A1100 provides a USB device port in the front panel for quick data transfer to another computer"

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
Tags: Add Tags