1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mythbusters RFID episode banned

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. kennethsross

kennethsross What's a Dremel?

The way I see it, the guys who will exploit these vulnerabilities probably already know about it, and how to do it.

Showing this would not be a case of educating criminals, but informing potential victims

3. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Pheshh... Heck yea they should air that, if these corporations know about the vulnerabilities then clearly it isnt ready for mainstream use. Dosnt mean that counterfeiters, scammers and credit card fraud dont exist, but obviously this needs to be looked at twice. Heck, if a silly show cant air its feeble attempts at hacking and cracking it, its not worthy of use!

Stupid corporate america, being irresponsible, again....

4. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I say, the myth busters should show some amateurs how to do a show about it and direct the whole thing, then spread it over the interblags and let the Streisand effect take hold.

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

If anyone's interested, the conference was TheLastHope.

Did anyone watch the entire thing btw? The pizza clay oven woman was crazy...

6. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

I think it was probably dropped as it would be VERY BORING.

7. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I did a lot of research into card systems such as charliecards and oysters an absolute age ago. All the information you need is out there, a little smart engineering later and you've got what you want. I don't get why people need to be told how to do this and why the people doing the telling need to be gagged.

8. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

hacking RFID systems is one of the easiest things in the world to do, all you need is a trip to your local electronics parts store, or if you're into miniaturization, then you might have to etch a circuit board or two.

after the appropriate device has been buitl the operation is pretty much automated.

one of the most vulnerable systems is actually exxon's speedpass system, because it doesn't contain system-unique info, but the actual credit-card info......

9. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

It needs to be run so that people can see how this technology works and the security risks involved. Not running a show with information like this should be a crime. It is informing the public of already known and highly documented facts. What is the difference between this and investigative journalism?

10. NeMoD

NeMoD What's a Dremel?

11. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Eh wouldn't this follow under freedom of the press/speech? so much for that.

12. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

yeah its ridiculous that they can't show it. and it sounds like a bit of a cover up story on the part of the credit card companies.

13. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the video, that was actually a pretty interesting watch.

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Eh wouldn't this follow under freedom of the press/speech? so much for that.

No, it wouldn't. The network decides whether or not they want to air something. If legal pressure from the credit card companies forced them to back down, then that was their choice. It's not worth a legal battle just to make one TV episode. However, they could have aired the episode. No one was actually stopping them.

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

time index dead on play from 45 mins is about the RFID got banned bit

watched the all it very good shame about the banned part (guess every one knows now Not to ring the bank up now)

16. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

The companies using RFID need to Step-TFU and admit that there is a problem with the technology. While pretty much any security tech seems to be hackable these days, broadcasting/transmitting transaction information via RF is just asking for trouble. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are practical applications for the technology, but how lazy have we gotten? Is it so taxing to swipe a magnetic strip in a machine? Let me just wave near it instead... ah... much easier.

17. sunsue

sunsue What's a Dremel?

18. defacedlawngnome

defacedlawngnome What's a Dremel?

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ratings

20. DianaK

DianaK What's a Dremel?

Too bad this episode never aired. More information on the vulnerabilities and RFID Blocking Wallets and Passport Cases to protect against these vulnerabilities at www.difrwear.com.

Tags: Add Tags