1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning HTPC Scratch build needs help for planned cooling

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DeafMute, 12 Sep 2011.

1. DeafMute

DeafMute What's a Dremel?

So I am admittedly a fairly long time lurker hoping to get some help on a design and idea that had come to me last year. I want a new tower PC. But at the same time, I already have a nice quad core in a big tower case, so how do I justify this new build without ditching this 3-4 year old tech? Put it into an HTPC and use it in the living room! I was getting all lined up to get my

This in my mind seemed like a great idea, I get a new toy, and I recycle/repurpose the older one (Yay!). But then I rather suddenly became unemployed (boo...). As a result, I haven't been able to buy parts for my new computer, so I never went along with the plan. However, it recently struck me in my middle of the day boredom, that I could go along with the case build, as it wouldn't necessarily cost an arm and a leg, and would give me a renewed sense of purpose and productivity (for those who have never been unemployed for a couple months, it is much needed).

So sob story aside, I have no idea how air flow should work in an HTPC. It, in my mind, is an especially important issue as I will be throwing in a mATX card in there with a full graphics card (my old geforce 9600), and my quad core cpu (Phenom 9600 @ 2.3 ghz) along with a 600 watt PSU. Yes, I could go lower on power, but the goal of my build is 3 fold. 1) Recycle the old PC to build a sandy bridge tower, 2) save money now that I don't have enough income to frivolously spend on both new htpc parts and then later a new tower, and 3) to use it not only as the media center but also as a nice little emulation box as some of my older console boxes are dying on me.

So back to airflow, it would probably be the size of a very small midtower lying on its side so the cpu and mobo tray is on the bottom. It is a scratch build so I have a lot of options, but water cooling and passive IMHO are not viable. I was thinking a 200mm top fan exhaust and 2 120mm fans on either side, front fans as intake and back fans as exhaust, but I really don't know how much that will cycle air across the components, due to the number of ports I want on the front (for game controllers) I don't think I can manage a typical front intake fan. Maybe have only one intake on either side and exhaust out the top 200 and couple back 120's? What are some of your suggestions?

Currently on a laptop for the week, so I can't really get some concept drawings up, but maybe I'll freehand some and post pictures of the plan? Thanks in advanced for all the help you can give a probably over-ambitious Novicaurus Rex.