1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bargaintastic, thank you eBay!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by HoistaWheelie, 5 Jun 2009.

1. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

Just picked up a 512MB 8800GTS (G92) on eBay for £54 thanks to a 10% discount voucher I got from eBay :thumb:

Well chuffed with that price, just felt I had to share it with you guys :D

:dremel: Question - is it worth replacing stock cooler?

Cheers

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Well done! I just got a EVGA 9800GX2 SSC card with 10% off - I'm looking forward to seeing it fold as the shader clock is almost 11% higher then the standard card. Should be crunching some units in less then 3 hours :clap:

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nice job! I have 2x 8800GTS's in rig #1 and the simple answer to your question about the hsf is an emphatic YES! They run so much cooler with an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 8800 and they are very overclockable cards too, I have my two running at 710 core/ 1010 memory and they are rock solid. Never had a single EUE on either of 'em :thumb:

4. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

Thanks Unicorn, I fancy this one though instead - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-057-TR&tool=3 or maybe this - http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/vgacoolers/cl-gfxchilla or this even - http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_0&mID=101&page=gallery

Anyone used one of these?

Cheers

5. Unicorn

I have a couple of issues with those coolers, from a quick glance. The Thermalright seems to only be compatible with the 8800GT, and not the GTS. The AC Accelero Twin Turbo is only compatible with G92 8800GTS's according to their website, and as far as I know mine are both G80. Don't quote me on that but I'm almost sure they are. The GFXChilla is definately 100% compatible with the 320Mb GTS's, but isn't as graceful and hassle free a solution as the AC Xtreme 8800, because it requires a seperate heatsink for the NV I/O chip and by the looks of it, the memory chips as well.

I like the 8800 Xtreme from AC because it cools everything using one heatsink, including that easy-to-miss NV I/O chip that sits close the PCI plate on the card. If you don't put a thermal pad on there whilst installing the AC Xtreme 8800, the heatsink has no contact with it, and the chip will burn out, killing the card!

I've had such great success with the Arctic Cooling model that I've been using that I would be reluctant to use anything else on 8800GTS's now. The two that I run have maintained a high, stable overclock and have been folding pretty much 24/7 since the start of Feb this year which is a testament to the AC HSF's ability to keep them cool.

6. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I have the GFXChilla on a 256MB 8800GT. Two points I wish I'd known beforehand - the fixings stick out of the back (top) quite along way, so the slot immediately above the GFXChilla can not be used for a graphics card; the fans are powered either by direct connection to the 12v Molex type fittings, or a 3 pin motherboard socket, but not to the socket on the card, meaning the speed of the fans can not be controlled by the graphics card temperature.

7. Unicorn

I had heard the same things in reviews. Why would a company make a card cooler like that? Seems like a bad design to me :confused: