1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Diablo III 1.1 to bring player-versus-player combat

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 29 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

The launchday servers never 'crashed' they were busy... such a load of mis-information out there; and is logging into battle.net DRM? Really?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There were several times when the servers were completely unavailable, which is close enough to 'crashed' for me. And, given that the prime incentive for forcing users to have an always-on internet connection even when playing single player is to minimise piracy, I'd say categorising it as DRM is accurate too.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

They should have a functionality where you can grief higher level characters, but not lower level characters. A lot more rewarding to beat someone bigger than you :D

5. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Logging into battle.net *is* DRM. How can you not see that? It's just the same as Steam or Origin. Digital Rights Management - it manages how you play the game.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Exactly. Digital Rights Management exert control over your ability to play the game regardless of your physical ownership of anything. Any kind of dynamic software-based limitation on how you play the game, from online log-ins to maximum number of installs, is DRM.

The difference is some DRM is very lax, whilst others are positively draconian.

7. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

hmm, hope it's something that can be toggled to "off". Not interested in the PvP really.

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I mostly plays alone or with 1 / 2 friends when they are "on". Not interested for the moment.

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I don't get PvP, is it when you are playing co op or is it a separate game mode. It would be quite annoying to be half way through an act for a team-mate to finish you off :/

10. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

For a game that's "always on-line" the servers have been unconnectable for less than 24 hours since it came out.100% acceptable in my book because of the huge amount of players and it being such a big title. All in all, I'd say the launch went quite well actually.

PVP was never my thing in diablo 2, not sure how I will really like it in the new game.

11. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

As regards the DRM thing, it's been very stable for me, I've only had a couple of issues, nothing major or particularly bothersome. It's a lot better than having to use origin or GFWL.

PvP is a good addition, though it's hardly what I play the game for. That said, my experience of Diablo PvP comes from D2, where everyone you met used hacks and therefore PvP was just retarded. It might be pretty good fun in D3, especially if you can do team fights etc. I'll have to wait and see.

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I have good hope for D3 in the future. I already love it and if D3 gets the same quality update than D2, then it'll we a really good game.

EDIT : Please Blizard, bring us an expansion of the same level than LOD :D

13. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The way it worked in D2 was that you party up with someone and they can then not harm you. To leave your party you had to be in town (I think) where they couldn't hurt you anyway, and you would be notified that they had left. Essentially this meant it was impossible for someone to ambush you mid-PvE grind.

Not sure how it will work in D3. I suspect it will be the above system plus some PvP specific arena-type maps.

14. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

That's exactly how it was in D2. You start a public game, your group reaches Baal, the paladin starts spamming hammers -> teleports to town -> turns on pvp, the hammers he previously cast around you kill everyone as he is now hostile, calls everyone n00bs and leaves game.

Amazons could do it too. Spam guided arrow, tele back to town, go pvp and the guided arrows still in mid-flight would kill her former team-mates. Even if you didn't die (which you did because damage was insane) you still couldn't fight back because they were already in town/safe-zone.

The whole pk would take about 2 seconds. It probably wont be possible in D3 because town portals aren't instant.

15. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

To be honest, after hearing about all these hacks, no wonder blizzard made D3 only only...

16. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Crafting system is crap. Bring back the Cube.

500g to upgrade LOWEST LEVEL GEMS? Who thought that made sense? By the time you can afford that sort of money on upgrading... you are already finding gems 3 levels above that! Completely useless.

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

what about scrolls? always being able to identify and always being able to go to town makes the game way to freaking easy and well pointless so please bring back the scrolls

18. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

So the people claiming that logging in to battle net is DRM don't consider that having the your character stored locally with all the information would be better? because that's what offline mode is. And if you can have that, the game will be instantly hacked, and then unplayable... I'd rather log in to a ****ing server, thank you

19. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Those weren't hacks, not even exploits; they just played the system. A common hack was maphack, which revealed the map in a whole area as soon as you entered, so you instantly knew exactly where to go. Even that was just the tip of the iceberg. Almost everyone was using it. The major hacks were hacked items with stats better than any legit drop, drop hacks that caused players to drop all their gear when the hacker opened a trade window with them, and item duping. Even now you can find websites that sell such items; just google d2items.

All the aforementioned hacks were on battle.net. Not in offline games, not on private servers, they were on blizzard's official servers. The argument that "always online" is to protect from cheating is a blatant lie.

They've already had account hacking incidents in D3.

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

yup and there was already a gold exploit detected that Blizzard is trying to stop.

Tags: Add Tags