1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice ENTHUSIAST BEAST Of beasts OF 2009

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GameFreak, 27 Dec 2008.

1. GameFreak

GameFreak What's a Dremel?

Ok time for the big to boys play:rock: now the beast of beasts is going to be created:eeek:, no budget, best of the best, ultimate monster machine, I need ideas and suggestions:confused: to make it better/ recommended parts. so far my thoughts are.

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Quad Core 3.2GHz LGA1366 8MB Cache

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME MB Intel X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000

GRAPHICS CARD: ATI' HD 49x0 OR NVIDIA'S GTX 295 ???

MEMORY: Corsair TR3X6G1866C9DF Dominator with Airflow Fan, 6GB (3x 2GB), DDR3-1866

POWER SUPPLY: Antec Signature 850W

HHD: X2 Seagate SATA 1.5TB

TOWER: Cooler Master ATCS 840

DVD/BLU-RAY:pioneer Retail SATA Blu-Ray Combo / Writer

CPU COOLING SYSTEM???
    SOUND CARD???
    ANYTHING ELSE

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Are you actually going to be buying said system?

- Diosjenin -

3. GameFreak

Yep that why I'm asking I just want to be sure these components are the best parts to buy.

4. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Probably not... Considering the post count, the seeming lack of actual knowledge on the parts in question, and the use of grammar, I get the impression it's a kid with dreams. No offense intended, but that's what I get from the post. If that's not the case, please excuse me.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with having dreams of an AMAZING computer, but honestly in two months everything will change, and you'll be looking at yet ANOTHER list of top-o-the-line parts.

5. GameFreak

I've reacherd these parts and im wondering what peoples opinions are,
    I am aware that in time it will be old but it does not phase me.

P.S I really don't care who you think I am I just need advice.:thumb:
    so kindly f#ck off with the attitude.

6. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Sorry if I seem rude, but more often than not people just come here and post ridiculous setups that they NEVER plan on putting together. If you're not one of them, then more power to you.

On the HDDs, the 1.5TB's don't have very good reviews. I'd go for 3x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB drives in their place, or you can go for 4x F1's with a dedicated RAID card running RAID 5 (speed and redundancy).

The PSU is a good choice, but I doubt it will hold up to the specs above if you choose to go with a second graphics card down the road, XFire or SLI. I would look at 1000 watts minimum for your setup so you have the ability to add to the system down the road.

As for sound card, Asus Xonar D2X is your best bet if you plan on running Vista... There's too many problems with X-Fi cards on Vista right now (I can vouch for the problems).

CPU Cooler, a custom water-cooling setup would be best, but that aside, either a Thermalright Ultra 120 with 2 good quality fans in a push-pull config, or pick up one of these...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007

Noctua NH-U12P for the 1366 chipset, with a second fan. Everything you need in one box.

Everything else looks good. Hope that helps you, and hopefully you DO build the PC, and enjoy it.

7. GameFreak

OK thanks mate ill have a look at the info you gave me

8. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Glad to help. Let us know if you need anything else.

9. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

I cannot emphasize enough on how you shouldn't ever use a Seagate SATA 1.5TB as a primary HDD. I have one where I keep all my media such as games, music, HD movies, software, and seasons of tv shows, I backed it up on an external harddrive disk only because I don't trust my Seagate 1.5TB enough.

10. Diosjenin

Fair enough.

Tower:
    CPU: Core i7 EE 965
    Mobo: ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
    RAM: 6x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    GPU: BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024H2OCWE GeForce GTX 280
    SND: Asus Xonar D2X
    LCD: Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon Tri-Color with Mini-USB to Internal-USB cable (Bay 3/12)
    Optical: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner (Bay 4/12)
    SSD: 8x Intel X25-M 80GB + Supermicro CSE-M28E2B (8x 2.5" drives in 2x 5.25" bays), RAID 0 (Bays 5-6/12)
    HDD: 8x Seagate 1.5TB + 2x StarTech HSB430SATBK or similar (4x 3.5" drives in 3x 5.25" bays apiece), RAID 10 (Bays 7-12/12)
    RAID Cards: 2x Areca ARC-1231ML-2G
    PSU: ePOWER EP-2000P10-T3 2000W + an assortment of adapters required to make all the necessary connections, including several SATA to Molex adapters and something that adapts to PCI-E 8-pin. I'm too lazy to figure it out right now.
    Case: This little wonder, which already includes the massive quad-120mm radiator for the liquid cooling.

Liquid Cooling:
    CPU: Koolance CPU-350AT
    GPU: Taken care of.
    Pump: AquaComputer AquaStream XT Ultra
    Radiator: Taken care of.
    Reservoir: XSPC 5.25" Bay Reservoir (Bay 2/12)
    Fluid: Feser One
    And of course the various nozzles (hopefully compression-type) and tubing (hopefully 13mm) that have to accompany all this.

Of course, if you actually have a budget underneath the declarations of having none that's a bit less than the roughly $15,000 USD a build like that requires (without even getting into peripherals, monitors, etc.), feel more than free to throw out a number and I'll be happy to configure something new to match that number.

- Diosjenin -

11. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I'd get at least a few of these. Or get a few 4870X2's.

Or maybe get single slot water blocks and get six of them!

As people complain about the 1,5TB Seagates, I'd stay clear of them. Get 1TB drives, many of them, and RAID6 them.

Overkill, even for this machine!

And ePOWER? Never heard... Just get a Corsair HX1000 IMO.

I've heard bad things about Koolance.

-----

Why not get a dual-CPU setup? I mean, you can't overclock or use SLI, but you'd have LOTS of CPU power.

-----

Also get a few 30" NEC screens. At least one for every graphics card, maybe even two.

12. Diosjenin

The idea is that they do have single-slot waterblocks, but you can't use more than three nVidia GPUs in one setup unless you're explicitly using dual-GPU cards like the upcoming GTX295, and even then you're limited to four GPUs (two cards). 3x GTX280 in Tri-SLI is on here because on a Core i7 platform that setup tests better than 2x 4870X2 in QuadFire (the highest you can go on an ATI platform).

The only reason to purchase another GPU would be maybe a 9600GT for PhysX purposes, but that would either eliminate the sound card or one of the RAID cards, both of which would reduce performance on an all-around basis.

I personally haven't heard any complaints about the 1.5TB drives, but if that is in fact as you say, then yes, something like 1TB WD Caviar Blacks would work just fine.

I would ordinarily advocate RAID 6 myself, but with eight drives in the equation, even an advanced RAID card like the Areca could get overloaded and pass some of its workload on to the CPU. But it would probably be fine, so I amend the RAID necessary for the actual hard drives. Try RAID 6 to start out, and if it results in anything over 1% CPU utilization (after overclock, under load), back up your data and switch to RAID 10.

I understand that 2000W is actually a bit of overkill, but 1000W isn't going to be nearly enough. I'd be a bit surprised if 1300W was really enough, and that's the highest-wattage PSU I could find on Newegg outside of the aforementioned 2000W one. We are talking about a 130W CPU, three ultra-high-end GPUs, two RAID cards, a sound card, six sticks of RAM, sixteen data drives, a liquid cooling system, etc., etc. - and it all sucks power.

With another case I'd gladly suggest dual-PSUs, but the radiator in the top of this one blocks another PSU from being a possibility.

If anyone can find a 1500W-1700W PSU with the appropriate amount of connectors, feel free to let me know and I'll gladly replace it in the build list. That should be enough wattage to handle it all...

Admittedly their reputation isn't the top in the OCing world, but they have some of the few LGA-1366 blocks around, and from what I've seen the CPU-350 is actually one of the better-designed ones around. Or at least it better be for a whopping $85 USD.

Because you can't use SLI or overclock. Besides, the memory bandwidth even on Skulltrail is crushed by a Core i7 system - and Socket LGA775 isn't future-proof anymore.

Agreed. Three is probably the highest you should go - gaming in Tri-SLI will black out all but the one with the game on it anyway.

- Diosjenin -

Last edited: 27 Dec 2008
  13. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

Excluding the $15k dream system that is pretty insane, I would strongly look into Intel X25-M to add to your first selection of items. It is a great performer to install your OS and applications until you fill it up, and then run a couple TB drives in RAID for your media.

I personally would lean toward the ASUS P6T deluxe, or RIIE, or even the MSI Eclipse or EVGA X58 over the Gigabyte. But to be fair, I have not done much research on the Gigabyte, so maybe I am off base. From what I have read though, these 4 have all be extremely solid after BIOS issues have been resolved, and the P6T has been solid from the start.

I also agree with the Corsair 1000HX psu, its modular and supposedly a very solid performer.

Looks pretty kick @ss, I'd look into the watercooling option if you're brave enough. If money is not much of an option, running 2 GTX's in SLI and an i7 965, you could run two cooling loops, one for the CPU and maybe include your Seagates or whatever you decide on that loop, and then run the graphics cards on the other loop.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

only 6GB in your people's builds??!?

i have filled up my 8GB (2 VMWare while running Sins of Solar Empire and Folding), while people with "ENTHUSIAST BEAST" in their title still only build 6GB machines?

12GB at least!

15. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

1000watts is definitely enough for something like
    1 Blu ray drive
    ~4 1TB drives
    an Asus Xonar
    2 4870x2
    an I7 965 with an X58 and 6GB of DDR3 1866
    with a Laing DDC 18watt pump for the watercooling

BTW, I don't like your attitude towards members of this forum so if you please, you can "f#ck off with the attitude"
    That post was subsequently reported.

16. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

If this is really going to take more than 1200W of power, you might want to know that a 10A fuse on a 120V line has a maximum capacity of that.

If you're on 240V then it's max 2400W.

17. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

No LN2? Pah, pathetic!