1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Study links number of Facebook friends to stress levels

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 16 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I have a mouth and a phone. Why is facebook useful?

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The only stress I get from facebook is when someone spams me unknowingly because they don't know their malware ridden PC is crapping out garbage.

I used to just remove them but it's got so bad I have blocked anything from being written on my wall.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Meh, no different from the stress generated by IRC or IM.
    Must-Answer-must-be-witty.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

why do people read their feed should be the first stress alarm bell.

i only go on it to use the PM system to connect with friends, i simply don't understand the wall system. when you are having a conversation with another person, you don't want to be interrupted, so why use the wall posts when it's definitely going to get viewed and commented by other people? most of the time, people you never met.

6. Orionche

Orionche Guest

I've noticed that people with a large friends list very rarely post anything, sort of defeating the purpose of the site...

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I swear, people go out of their way to get stressed these days.

It's not uncommon that I start talking to someone I know and they're suffering from "Stress" or "anxiety" or some other illness.

8. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I suppose it's essentially the equivalent of being popular in real life. As in the days before social networking sites sprung up, the pressure to manage that many friends, contacts and associates with appearances, witty banter and charming dialogue must have been about the same.

9. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I don't see how people with thousands of 'friends' on Facebook can relax and be themselves. Well, unless you are actually a well-liked and funny guy like Matt Lucas etc, then I guess so, but otherwise you would constantly feel like curbing your true jesting or honesty for fear of upsetting/annoying people.

Also those who don't fall in the Matt Lucas category and seem to be pulling as many randoms into their 'friends' list as possible, appear to me to be desperately trying to look popular, and the reality is that like someone said above, these people then say bugger-all !

10. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

The only thing that stresses me about facebook is that there is so many people, yet nothing happening at all. Kind of like satellite television, so many channels but nothing on!

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You can speak photographs?! You can call people in multiple timezonesat once without annoying them?! You can organise something with hundreds of people without incurring a huge phone bill?! You phone people up to tell them about funny links all the time?! You can keep in touch with friends you haven't seen for years without being a weirdo?!

12. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

Sounds like you've got quite a lot of friends on the book of faces thingie, Joe... :)

13. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Just reading this has got me stressed, I'd talk to my imaginary friend but he's not talking to me at the moment.

14. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I recent returned to Facebook...

...and now Facebook.... my own personal trolling ground. I have about 20 friends who help me troll people and have a laugh, but that isn't my issue ^.^

Facebook IM can sod off, I just route it through windows live and chat to my mates on there!

15. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

'Poke' him on FB, apparently it's the same as twisting his nipples IRL!

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Hasn't this dude been picked up by the scientologists? He'll just ignore it as all Psychologists are evil in their eyes!

17. biFFon

biFFon What's a Dremel?

Imagine if people really did do all that via your phone! Now that would be stressful...

18. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Yep. You know what faceboof is for and would ask WarrenJ those same questions.

I find facebook to be a great tool to keep in touch with people YOU ALREADY KNOW, just to say "Hi" to buddies you havent seen for a long time, from school or something, organize meetings with friends its just way to easy without calling each other making a mess.

Now if you use facebook to know new Ppl and stuff, then I say something its not working

19. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

1 figure they forgot:
    100% of internet users that have no facebook accounts had 0% stress related to facebook.

Facebook = Stress
    Stress = Early Death
    therefore:
    Facebook Kills

20. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Geez, makes for some incredulous reading.

THEN STOP USING FACEBOOK!

I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family in a casual way. If something urgent or private comes up, I'll use the phone.

If someone is constantly negative or keeps sending around the silly Facebook chain-letter style statuses, I'll put them on ignore.

And if I found myself getting stressed due to Facebook, I'd delete my account.

It amazes me how some people (who are thankfully in a minority) would keep using Facebook even if they don't enjoy it?

Last edited: 16 Feb 2011
Tags: Add Tags