1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks LinkSys WRT160N Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cateye, 2 Feb 2010.

1. Cateye

Cateye What's a Dremel?

I recently bought LinkSys WRT160N

Thing is its damn complicated... my net speed dies if i connect it through router but if i directly connect my modem with PC internet works fine. some one told me that i have to manually set DHCP settings... i am not sure how any one using LinkSys WRT160N Wireless Router please let me know i need to set some settings mainly how to FWD port of utorrent, want to set password and want to upgrade firmware.

2. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

enable the dhcp server on the linksys would be the simple way- put in the dns addresses there

port forwarding should be under port forwarding in the web menu =p should be able to obtain the wan so that's pretty much all you'll need to get it working

4. Cateye

Cateye What's a Dremel?

please be more specific...

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Did you use the disk that came with the Router? This disk is a curse. DO NOT USE IT, it makes the router crap on you. I had to use the reset button on the back to have router (same as yours) work fine again.

Also, ensure that you have the latest firmware (see device documentation on how to do this properly)

6. Cateye

Cateye What's a Dremel?

Did firmware upgrade last night... and 1st i thought i should use that CD but i didn't just plug and play but still facing problems... Internet speed is way to low if i use wifi router and today i noticed that some one start using my internet

thing is when it comes to networking i have no clue what to do.... So please tell me how to FWD utorrent port, how to set password, and how to fix my internet speed.

I am uploading pictures of every option available in linksys homepage help me out plz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

8. MikeMania

MikeMania What's a Dremel?

Horizon pretty much sums it up.

If you aren't sure what IP address your computer is, there should be an "active clients" table in the admin panel that lists everything connected to the router and the IP they are assigned by it.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

For wireless, turn on WAP2 Personal, and set a complex password. You internet speed should not slow down.

With Linksys router, from my experience, the disk built-in software to "auto-configure" your router, does something funny with it. With my WRT160N I was unable to have a steady connection wireless or wired. The router was always freezes. I had to press the reset switch on the back of the router to finally fix the problem. As for my other place router (wireless G), despite having wireless set ON in the options, it wasn't ON (the light wasn't even turn on). Removing the software from the software (to stop communicating with the router), and hitting the reset switch on the back solved, and adjusting everything I need manually entirely solved the problem.

Linksys makes good home router, but their software are not being tested.