1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX285 won't go full speed. bah!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Idioteque, 27 Oct 2011.

1. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

I've recently swapped out my old GTX260 for a GTX285 (I know, minor upgrade!) and I'm having real problems with it not entering power state 0, otherwise known as full speed...

I've included a screenshot below I've tried installing the latest drivers, checking power connections are secure, and that all seems to be in order.

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Or, rather than RMAing, maybe try something other than FurMark. Try it with a game and see if it clocks up fully,

3. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Is this the card I just sold you?
    Hasn't been used in a while but was working fine when removed. I used evga precision tool to see what the card was doing in game with there osd.

4. Idioteque

Tis the very same, I'm sure it's just a driver issue, gonna try a few previous drivers, but can't reboot my system because it's in the middle of a massive backup ಠ_ಠ

I was wondering how I was getting worse performance than with my GTX260...

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Does it do it no matter what you're doing, gaming, furmark or whatever? I'd give it a shot with a game before messing with the drivers.

6. Idioteque

Just tested with Bad Company 2 and GRID, it's still stuck in power state 8.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ok well you can disable Nvidia power management, you can use Nv GPU Pro (see signature) to do that. This will tell us if it's Nvidia power management problem, or something else.
    Please remember that you need restart your computer once you set the option using my tool to apply changes. The software only tweaks the drivers, so if you update the drivers, or uninstall/install them, all modification are cleared, and set back to Nvidia own default.
    Of course, Nv GPU Pro, allows you to revert back ON Nvidia power management system. So don't worry about re-installing drivers.

If this works, then I have a special software in the works, which will most likely interest you, greatly. Basically it control the GPU (Nvidia only) speed based on what you run (it's packed with options and features). I use it on my laptop to gain 1 hours of battery life, and on my desktop to reduce system noise at idle, all by not loosing performance or increase heat.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2011
  8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I've used goodbytes software.. it's not bad =] think furmark is throttled by the driver- least that's what I read.. never tested it myself

probably to save the rma from people who run open case next to the indoor doghouse and their ps3, xbox.. and when the card crashes from heat they wiggle it and stuff like that

heck I just recently did a new hp laptop for a friend.. she didn't even have the chipset drivers installed! I don't blame them for saving users from themselves.. heard evga actually hired fleece johnson to handle all outgoing rma packages- that's why they arrive with a hole in them

9. Idioteque

Ran driver sweeper, got rid of a conflict with some ATI drivers I had left over from testing a card I bought on here. Runs peachy keen now. Cheers guys!