1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DavenPort lyons Suing me

Discussion in 'Serious' started by matthew223, 9 Jul 2008.

1. matthew223

matthew223 What's a Dremel?

I just received a letter through the post today from a company called Davenport Lyons stating on a certain day and time i downloaded Test Drive Unlimited, now i know i didnt do this, they have my ip address and have said through a high court order they have obtained my details from my isp and are sueing me to the tune of £530 wtf. Has any one heard of these going on's
    This is very stressful as its alot of money for something that i havnt done, any advice people.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Jul 2008
  2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you in the uk?

3. matthew223

4. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

Whatever you do, don't just ignore it. The last people who did didn't respond, didn't turn up to court, and unsurprisingly the court found against them. That's not to say the case has any merit.

5. matthew223

Im a noob at law, and not exactly rich either i think a visit to citzens advice bureau is in order.

6. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

hmm.. shot in the dark but could this be a scam to get money out of you? just playing on the fears everyone has now of being watched. i've never heard of a scam like this but you never know

7. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Send the letter back, "not at this address" :p
    Do you have unsecured or WEP secured wifi? Possible that someone else did it by stealing your connection.
    I thought it was standard/legal practice to warn you (or for your ISP to warn you) never to do that kind of thing again though before actually taking action? i.e. they don't give away information without first sending a cease+desist thingy?

8. matthew223

I dont think it is as ive had a search on google and lots of other people have received letters but what my search has lacked is whats actually happen to people and what they did.

9. matthew223

ok well it never came by registered post so i didnt sign for it so i can always say i never received the letter.

10. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

DO NOT DO THIS.. the letter should say on it somewhere it doesnt matter if you received it, that fact it was posted proves you have been informed

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Wow, your legal system is more screwed up than ours.

12. matthew223

ok sounds like need to get some professional advice.

13. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Thats pretty f'ed up man... And you didn't get a warning prior from your ISP? Maybe you should phone them up...

14. matthew223

ive sent them a email asking if its true they have supplied info on me

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Saying that they have your IP address is no proof that you did what they say you did. IP addresses can be spoofed, after all.

16. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

ive found a few sites with info about these actions.

from the post on torrent freak it looks like they are going through on a game by game basis
    http://torrentfreak.com/uk-bittorrent-users-under-more-pressure-from-lawyers-080111/

http://www.newlaw-jobs.co.uk/jobboard/cands/newsview.asp?id=545

http://virtuallawatlse.blogspot.com/2007/03/davenport-lyons-pursues-500-file.html

mention on cag too, http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...7625-isps-releasing-personal-information.html

but like you say no information on how other people have got on, maybe they paid up. i wouldnt withouht some more information tho

*edit*

have a read of the link in the cag thread, it has some more stuff on there about the letters too

17. mycin17

mycin17 What's a Dremel?

My 2 cents

You should report it to your public authorities because it might be a scam. If it goes to court and you are found libel because of some careless mistake you made, they will have to settle for what you can afford. Possibly a fine. I wouldn't worry about it, "they can't get blood from a stone".

18. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

thats not actually the case, (tho it would be if it was sent by recorded delivery)

To the OP if i were you id go and seek legal advice, you usually get the first half hour free on a first consultation without a lot of solicitors and that way you'll know where you stand.
    Dont just ignore it as they will simply pass it on to a debt collection agency and youll get the baliffs knocking on your door.

19. naokaji

naokaji whatever

if you are 110% sure you didnt do it and noone ever had access to your network (read as never let your family touch the pc, w-lan disabled all the time etc) then go to the police and report it as a fraud and or even better, buy some fuel (if you can afford it) and a lighter then (sorry, you'll have to think of the rest yourself, not going to give advice to do anyhting illegal here).
    If you cant guarantee that noone ever downloaded it (that includes neighbours stealing your wlan) demand actual proof. No, claiming to have your ip address is not proof, then decide based on what they cough up if you take legal action against them or if they have actual evidence then pay asap to avoid getting dragged to court and ruining your life with having a criminal record afterwards.

20. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Just out of interest, what is your IP?