1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless network on a House Boat - please help!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by IamJudd, 2 Nov 2014.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Please can someone recommend a solution to this problem. I have been trying to sort this for months and, with my Mums chemo and hip replacement, I've been very much on her schedule. Now that she is at home, she really wants to be able to log in to the wireless hotspot at the marina where she lives on a house boat.

Her main requirement is to pick up this hot spot (Spectrum Marina) into the boat and then repeat the wireless signal within the metal confines of the boat so as to use her laptop or iPad.

Everything I have bought so far has not worked and am currently looking at a solution direct from the suppliers (costly and USB only which rules the iPad out without buying something else).

Can anyone give me a suggestion that could maybe incorporate any existing gear I have including a 10m Ethernet cable, Linksys Compact Wireless G ver2 router, TP Link Wireless N nano router and a Ubiquiti M2 Bullet.

I'm pulling my shoulder hair out here as I have no actual hair left on my bonce.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

2. creative

creative 500rwhp

would something like a Netgear Universal Wifi Range Extender WN3000RP do this for you?

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Can you get a signal outside the boat? Or do you need to get it that far first?

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

We can get a weak signal on the boat using a usb dongle on the end of a three metre cable. So that's fine for the laptop but doesn't extend the wifi for mobile platforms.

Thanks for the quick responses so far!

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Get yourself an outdoor AP, like the Ubiquiti Bullet2HP add on a decent omni directional antenna and you'll have a solid connection to the marina wifi.

It'll give you a wired connection that you can then link into the WAN port of a cable router and connect as many of your own devices to.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Have a look at THIS It may solve your problem

9. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

You bunch of gorgeous Star Bars