1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other SOLVED: Computer starts, but no signal. / Stick of RAM broken?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by oscy, 10 Nov 2014.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

I started a new build up and was getting no signal to my monitor. The board's LED display said '55', which means "memory not installed". However I had both sticks of RAM in. I tried it with one stick, no luck. Tried it with the other stick in another socket and... it boots and everything.

I've tested again both sticks together and individually in different slots and it's the same one that causes the 55 error, even when the working stick is also in.

But if it's just a case of that one stick of RAM being dead, wouldn't it instead think RAM is inserted when both sticks are in, but only one stick?

The processor and RAM had previously been tested and working, but one stick of RAM was dropped afterwards, about 50cm onto a hard surface.

CPU: 2500K
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
    RAM: Team, 2400MHZ, 2 x 4GB

Last edited: 11 Nov 2014
  2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oscy, is this with both the video-out on the motherboard (i.e. no GPU installed) and with the video-out on the GPU?

3. oscy

oscy Modder

The DVI/VGA was with the graphics card, the HDMI with the motherboard.

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Anything up with the status LEDs? Are these checking out OK? There should be two sets - a set of four next to the 24pin power connector on the right hand edge of the board and a pair next to the power/reset button on the bottom edge of the board.

6. oscy

oscy Modder

Well I know the problem now. I did the reset jumper and also took the battery out for a few minutes. I started it up, same problem, but I looked at the LED display (thank **** for that display) and it said '55', which means "memory not installed". However I had both sticks of RAM in. I tried it with one stick, no luck. Tried it with the other stick in another socket and... it boots and everything.

I've tested again both sticks and it's the same one that causes the 55 error. It seems that RAM stick has broken. The other stick on its own works fine, but the broken one gets the error.

You might recall I said the RAM had been tested when spazmochad came round, and I think both sticks were. But how robust is a stick of RAM? Because spazmochad dropped a stick right before he left. :hehe:

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Thank the Lord for those error code LEDs, eh? Glad you've got it sorted, shame about the stick of RAM dying.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Thought it was the RAM. It's a common fault --faulty RAM, mobo won't POST.

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've had this problem with a ram dimm that wasn't 100% in. It jad clicked the side clip, but the stick wasn't completely in the slot. Motherboard wouldn't post. If it's dual Channel, switch them around into each others slots. Worth a shot.

Ram is so fussy sometimes, in my experience anyway.

10. oscy

oscy Modder

I just realised, would one stick of faulty RAM make a pair not work? Because when they're both in, the board says no memory is installed. If it's just a case of that one stick of RAM being dead, wouldn't it instead think RAM is inserted, but only the one working stick? Could the problem be something else?

11. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I think it'll just be the one stick. I'm not sure on how dual channel setups check themselves in startup but if you have a stick which works on its own, a stick which doesn't work on its own and both together doesn't work - I'd say you have a faulty single stick. Replace / RMA it and once your at the point you have two stick which both work individually, install both and carry on diagnostics from there

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

One thing to do to double check is to try each stick of RAM individually, and test each stick on its own in each of the four RAM slots. That'll confirm whether one of the sticks of RAM is faulty or whether it's an issue with one of the memory slots on the board.

Like dynamis_dk says, it looks like it's a single faulty stick of RAM but it doesn't hurt to double check.

13. oscy

oscy Modder

I tried the broken RAM in all the slots and get the error. The other stick of RAM is fine. ****.