1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: The Thief Series

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Mar 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I like the fact you've tagged the story with "my dad". I just love the idea of someone actually putting in the search term "my dad" and seeing what comes up. :)

Random fact 2: Isn't the Thief level Return to the Cathedral supposed to be one of the scariest ever or something?

3. proxymoron

proxymoron What's a Dremel?

Thief (the first one) suffered the same fate for me - unable to get past the zombies because it was so, so different to the first level and so, so terrifying at the time. Really should go back and do it again. Also: System Shock 2 and, I was going to say the monkeys but really, System Shock 2 as a whole is too frightening for words.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There are two levels which often get awarded that honor; Return to The Cathedral from Thief 1 and The Cradle from the third game.

Return is a level which sees Garrett venturing into a sealed off part of the city to get into a haunted cathedral and steal a cursed gem called The Eye, which is constantly teasing and taunting him as he scrambles over rubble and past the undead, invulnerable keepers.

The Cradle is a similar set-up. It's an old, haunted orphanage and you go in looking for info. As you go through you uncover more and more of the history of the building - which was also an insane asylum at one point. Then you put together the idea that it was both an asylum and an orphanage at the same time.

I've literally seen dissertations written on how well designed both levels are and how they use sound and visual clues in such a clever, chilling way.

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I played thief a long while ago... i can't remember for the life of me why i stopped :eek:

On your special request, my greatest gaming achievement was in Destruction Derby 1 on the PS1. For those of you that know the game, in Race mode, i was able to push The Skum to 5th division and L-driver to 1st division while still winning 1st division, using the medium car.

... then i got a life.

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I wouldn't say Thief was overlooked by critics, pretty much every games writer I've read quotes it as one of their favorite games...

I remember playing it a long while ago, but not getting far, I guess I was too impatient back then, I probably tried to play it like a shooter. Perhaps I should go back and give them another go.

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I think my greatest gaming achievement was finishing the text-driven King's Quest 1 without cheating. :D

8. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

I love the depth in the games the most, the way guards talk to each, or one of my favorite games within the game was to see how big a pile of knocked out bodies I could make in a level without killing anybody, only to find out that somehow I managed to get somebody killed. Turns out when I went back right before finishing the level, some poor knocked out guard managed to fall down the well and drowned.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

:rock:

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

So Joe when you going to cop to the crap games you own? :)

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I will be getting to that, trust me. ;)

12. Yardstick

Yardstick What's a Dremel?

Weird - I could play through the Ravenholm level in HL2, the spooky bits of STALKER and the Dunwich Building in Fallout 3 but the 2nd level of the original Thief really freaked me out at the time. I think it was because I couldn't kill the Zombies and I just found it very unsettling.

13. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

The trick with the zombies is to run; realize that they're not very fast, and as long as you can keep moving and you're only facing zombies, you've got little to worry about.

Tags: Add Tags