1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Budget PSU? cheap as possible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by defined, 20 Nov 2012.

1. defined

defined Botch-Job

Hi bit tech forumites

So my little brother has just had a pc given to him, fairly low end advent system with an e4400, 1gb ram and a rubbish graphics card, now my mother has burdened me with the task of getting it to run games, I have already upgraded the cpu to a e6750 that i had spare and added another 2gb of ram.

I got a spare HD4870 that i want to chuck in there but the power supply doesn't have any of the 6pin connectors.

I need it to be as cheap as possible as we don't want to spend any money on this computer as he will be having my mine in around 5months.

i have been looking at this and this scan, any recommendations?

Also how do you think this will hold up for gaming at 720p, im guessing\ most modern games will run at low settings?

thanks in advance

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Don't do it, stay branded.

Antec, corsair, some cm, enermax etc etc. It really isn't worth it putting a cheapo PSU in. For the sake of £30-£35 get something branded with decent warranty.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I was using a E6750/4870 1GB/2GB RAM setup pretty recently as my main PC, it worked surprisingly well. Played Deus Ex: HR decently on low/medium settings at 1680x1050, didn't try anything newer. I mainly used it to play TF2 and LoL, which it did admirably.

The PSU I used was a Corsair CX400, the original Seasonic OEM model. Maybe just wait for a deal on a decent 400W~ PSU? The 380W Antec Earthwatts should work, or some of the low end OCZ models.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What's the PSU rating and does it have any spare power plugs? Might get away with an adapter.

5. defined

defined Botch-Job

not sure what you mean by PSU rating, the card is a Palit HD 4870 1GB sonic edition, I have a few 2xmolex to 6pin adapters but the power supply i currently have only has 2 spare molex connectors

I know that i should stick to a brand but i cant justify the price this side of Christmas and its only a temporary PC

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hamza has an Antec VP550p psu for sale, it's a decent budget psu and pretty cheap too.

Hamza's sale thread

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Definitely not the ColoursIT, as soon as you plug a graphics card in it won't be able to cope with the load on the first rail, I'd still be highly dubious about the Ace but it might do as a stop gap if you really don't want to spend the extra 20 on a decent PSU that will better protect your hardware.

8. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

9. defined

defined Botch-Job

Missed your post earlier, hopefully should play most games on low settings using DX9 at 720p, its going to be my brothers first computer, he's only 10 so it will be a great starting point for him to learn.

After having a chat with my mother i have now decied that i will go halfers with her on the PSU, maximum of £30 now