1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 802.11n finally ratified

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 23 Jan 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

600 Mbit/s?! :jawdrop:
    And I thought my 108 Mbit/s WLAN rocks.
    But what will it bring to the average user like me? Having 6 Mbit/s internet, not that often go to LAN, living with girl friend (sharing files over WLAN @ 12-13 MB/s). I mean, I really don't need that much bandwidth. I don't use mine often. :eyebrow:

Last edited: 23 Jan 2006
  3. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

802.11n - "Stealing broadband just got a whole lot easier!"

But that's sweet having the hooge range and hooge speed ramp up. :cool:

4. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

My local LAN party got a gigabyte ethernet switch some time back, very nice, if you can manage to leverage it - think the highest I ever managed was 160mb/s and then only by running FTP host on one machine and client on the other :eeek:

5. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

any idea on when these devices are going to be available? I see there are mimo routers out now but are they truely 802.11n standard?

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Excellent, the idea of transferring files from my laptop to main PC is no longer a nightmare.

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

No, MIMO standard (802.11n) will not be 'officially' supported until start of 2007. However, devices that are largely compliant are hitting shelves soon, just with health labels due to the frequency not having been examined in depth.

One company already has a MIMO product out, but it is actually against the grain...they said they do not want to adapt to the standard 802.11n.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Excellent, it's still slower than my new gigabit setup. If it comes with a 'net connection at 600Mbit (!!!), I'll care just a *little* bit more.

MIMO != 802.11n, just like SATA 3Gbps!= SATA-II. Both of the latters incorporate the formers, but there's more to it than just that. As it currently is, I think most devices labelled MIMO are simply multiple-antenna devices so you can run that old laptop at 802.11b and keep everthing else at .11g. And, of course, 802.11a needs it's own antenna as it runs at 5GHz rather than the 2.4GHz of absolutely anything else that's wireless. I'm sure there are exceptions, though. Speaking of which, is .11n at 2.4GHz as well? Or are they going to piss me off by moving *that* to 5.8GHz (which our very expensive phone system runs at, solely so it doesn't interfere with our 2.4ghz 802.11g) or use some other overpopulated frequency.

9. customh

customh conflagration.

Im curious about the same firehed, and of course ethernet aint dead, never guaranteed that 600mbps and gigabit is faster than it so ha!!

10. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

Because you truly utilize a gigabit connection :eyebrow:
    There's no need to have a connection faster that the speed of your hard drive, what's good about 802.11n is the better range!

11. customh

customh conflagration.

True story, im just a wired guy, guaranteed fast and no range issues easier to troubleshoot, plus im just not one that needs wifi

12. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Sound nice 600mbits would be nice over air but right now i am still using 802.11b and that is more than enought to surf the internet in the living room or outside the house. For current use i don't see a true need for it but maybe in 2007 i may if i can get fios internet from verizon then then it may be worth it.

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm with you on that one. I live in a dumpy single-wide mobile home. no two points in the house are more than 50 feet apart, so why bother with wireless? My laptop has it built in, which is really all I need since I don't take the desktops out (Though if my social life gets any crappier I might think about it). I just hope this helps drive down the price of gigabit a little more. I'm planning a rack for an upcoming re-model and it would be really nice to put in a 16 port gigabit switch and be done with it once and for all.

14. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Tough call... 600Mbit/s connection and a brain tumour, or no brain tumour and 100Mbit/s?!?

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hmm, this is good news, because the speed is fantastic(roughly the same bandwidth a single hard disk can manage) and the extra range will be great, because, lets face it, 802.11G range sucks.

Bad news because these things aren't out for at least a year, and even in early 2007 they're no doubt going to cost silly money, so they'll probably not really be an appropriate option for most untill mid to late 2007, thats a long time away :(

16. customh

customh conflagration.

FYI lazlow you could say 1000 seeing as there IS gigabit

17. Risky

Risky Modder

Well I won't upgrade in a rush, my house is very old in part with collosally think walls so I'm concentrating on running cable for the time being. Wireless can be handy but if you can wires are a better solution for anything that isn't mobile.

Tags: Add Tags