1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop keyboard not working in XP

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by JuMpErFLY, 25 Sep 2006.

1. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

My housemate decided to buy a ps2 keyboard to use with her laptop. Plugged it in with a usb adapter and installed "some driver" off a floppy that came with it. Not only does that keyboard not work, but the laptop keyboard itself doesn't work either.

I'm not quite sure what to do. The keyboard itself works to get into the bios/hit f8 when windows boots. But stops working as soon as windows loads, including safe mode. I'm assuming it's a driver problem. Any suggestions? I'd assume the recovery console is the only option? I wouldn't know what to do though..
    Or perhaps the repair feature I believe comes on xp discs, haven't tried that yet.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Can you uninstall the USB driver for the keyboard? Let windows select one from its own store.

3. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

can't even login - can't type password as keyboard doesn't work!

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Can you get into safemode? Your admin account probably doesn't have a password

5. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Yeah safemode booted but still couldn't login, I believe I'd set an admin password on it in the past but I'm not sure if it was trying to login as admin at the time. Anyway, had already tried repair off the xp cd before reading this, which totally screwed up the installation, wouldn't boot at all. Had to backup the files onto another machine after booting from a knoppix cd and copying over the network, and then reinstalled windows. All's good now. Thanks for the replies