1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Program to override BIOS control of CPU fan?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Blogins, 10 Jul 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I've bought a used Dell D630 laptop, updated the BIOS, striped and cleaned all the components, installed an SSD along with Windows 7 64-bit. It all works fantastically well but I would like to wrangle control of the cooling fan so that I can set my own custom cooling profile. Does anyone know of a good reliable program capable of this?

The fan tends to spin up every now and again but from what I've observed the T7250 Santa Rosa chip runs pretty cool anyway. Ideally the fan should only spin up once it hits 65 degrees, otherwise I'd be quite happy for it to be off at all other times!

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well, in Windows 7 power options, you can set the fan to Passive, to reduce the fan.

I saw a program to control the fan speed of Dell laptops, but there is no profile system... it's really, you enter yourself the fan speed, and it goes to that speed.

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Tried Speedfan but no dice with altering the CPU fan. :(

I had tried that but it made little difference. However that reminded me of the option to underclock the CPU from 'power options'. I've set it to 75% which reduced the multiplier from 10 to 6 so my 2GHz chip is now running at 1.2GHz. It doesn't allow this in BIOS! Now the fan is only spinning up when the CPU is under stress and the chassis is much cooler.

Also this laptop only came with 1GB of RAM, could the CPU be working harder because of this lack of memory? I'll upgrade to a single 2GB SODIMM first and get another 2GB further down the road. Curious if this could help offload from the CPU however!

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Not to my knowledge.

6. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Try some other fan utilities, you might find one that can setup a profile for your cpu fan. In speedfan, if you click on configure, and go to options, there is a "enable dell support" tick box. maybe that will help? then tick "automatic fan speed" on the main page, and go through the configure > temperatures settings, and set your "desired" and "warning" values for your cpu temp.

I dont think having less ram will make the cpu work harder, more likely the hard disk will work harder though if you run out of ram, as it will have to use the pagefile instead.

7. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

argus monitor? its freeware and after 30days will ask you to remove it but just hit "keep evaluating".

i cant remember if it supports profiles as such but it controls the fans when programs and such like speedfan don't work.

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I don't know if any of the usual freware utilities like SpeedFan will be able to do it since it's some proprietary laptop thing...