1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Anyone heard of HyperOptic Internet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sotu1, 19 Oct 2012.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys,

Not sure where to put this one. Has anyone heard of Hyper Optic? Getting some mail from these guys who claim to be setting up a Fibre Optic network in my area.

A little bit of Googleing shows it's set up by the man behind Be Broadband - who I'm with now (although not on Fibre Optic, and only getting 8MB speeds)

Any thoughts on this? These guys seem trusty enough or reviewed by anyone?

Cheers!

2. suragh

suragh Derp

Could you quote the mail message for us to see? I have never heard of them nore have I heard of BE Broadband.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Err, you've not head of BE? The ISP that most people on these boards rave about, and generally speaking offer the best ADSL2+ service in the UK? (They don't do fibre unfortunately).

Get out from under the log!

4. suragh

suragh Derp

ADSL lines where I live are typically pants. I have had my fair share of experiences being with sky. One word.... Dreadful.

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Their email to me:

Great news, we’re now taking pre-orders for service at Great West Quarter! Installations are due to commence within the next week and we thought, as you have registered interest, you should be the first to know.
    Residents can take advantage of our introductory offer – 100Meg broadband free for 6 months!
    100Meg Broadband is £25.00 per month now free for 6 months when you subscribe to line rental. That’s a saving of £150!
    What’s more, subscribe to any service and you’ll also receive free installation – an additional saving of £200.
    As you have registered interest, you will receive free connection during the order process – you’ll save £40! Please note free connection will only be available for a few days so please place your order as soon as possible to make the most of the savings available to you.
    To pre-order, visit www.hyperoptic.com – hurry as these offers won’t be available for long. If you have any questions, please call 0333 332 1111 or email support@hyperoptic.com

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I've called a few times as and they're apparently starting to install in my block of flats, I'm just wondering if it's worth the risk and jumping in with these guys. They're offering free installs and crap like that.

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Sounds like a typical scam, but with such a nice web site and phone numbers and stuff, it might not be a scam after all.

8. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic What's a Dremel?

Greetings from Hyperoptic!

Hello!

I noticed my handiwork appear on this site so thought I'd introduce myself - my name is Sunita and I am part of the Hyperoptic team, making hyper-fast internet speeds a reality throughout London.

Yes, the co-founders are the same guys who started Be Broadband many moons ago. The team are now standing up to ISPs who don't deliver the speeds you're paying for - because they still rely on copper based "technology". Hyperoptic install fibre and bring it straight to your development so you're getting the fastest speeds in the UK - a whopping 1000mbps!

You can read about Boris and Dana online simply by searching on google. There are lots of news articles available online including the two awards we've won recently (yes I am very proud of those - I polish them daily). Also, I suggest you read reviews on sites such as Think Broadband and ISP Review where customers have left their feedback.

Of course, you don't have to take my word for it; we've got a few hyper-champions at GWQ happy to put you in touch with them so you can test drive the service :D

Hope that helps - have a good week ahead.

Sunita

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Needed to delete.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2012
  10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

From their FAQ

Q: How is Hyperoptic able to offer such a leap forward in speed?
    A: Hyperoptic is building a new full fibre optic network to your building. By installing our fibre cables directly into your premises, not just to the cabinet on the street outside, you can at last overthrow those ancient copper wires that were designed just for voice or television.

I'd be interested in this- no phone line required, but my property hasn't been enabled by the look of it.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2012
  11. Hyperoptic

Thank you for your response - to clarify, we do have 1Gig links to the internet. We install our own fibre infrastructure to the premises so we are confident we can deliver the speeds our customers subscribe to. If you want to experience hyper-fast 1Gig speeds, then that's exactly what we'll deliver. No limitations, no compromise. If you're not in London, there are a number of serviced apartments in london where you can experience Hyperoptic. We have started our roll-out in London however there are plans to introduce more Hyper-cities in the near future.

Hope that helps :)

Sunita

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Needed to delete.

13. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Needed to delete.

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

If its too good to be true it usually is.

16. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

if you are running fibre straight into properties - does that mean you have to power and put up with a big noisy NTE as well? I mean, I would, because I could just stick it in comms cupboard, but I imagine for most people, that would be a nasty noisy inconvenience!

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Needed to delete.

18. Hyperoptic

Hear what Hyperoptic MD Dana Tobak has to say...

We use a point to point ethernet approach and as such the active equipment sits in a common area (usually a communications room) in the basement of a development. Our cabling is terminated in the flat with a passive RJ45 faceplate. Our router has the footprint of a normal broadband router with no additional power nor environmental conditions necessary.

Hyperoptic is not necessarily digging roads nor laying a new in-the-ground infrastructure but is using services previously used by large corporates for their connectivity. By providing this connectivity across a residential development we are able to create a residential service at a value price point for our customers. As we do not use the last mile infrastructure (read: copper network) of Openreach we do not need to pay any rental fees to them and so don't need to recover that cost in our prices.

So while we can appreciate why it may sound too good to be true, especially compared to other Fibre services, we can assure you that our business model is proven and we are committed to making our service available to suitable commercial and residential developments that welcome the benefits true fibre can bring.

If you are interested to find out more, please visit www.hyperoptic.com or email info@hyperoptic.com

Thank you for your interest in Hyperoptic.

19. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

All this chit chat is making my brain feel small. I'll just say that if they can provide 1Gb and above, sign me up.

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Needed to delete.