1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Portal: After the Explosion Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mcnaryxc, 31 Jul 2009.

1. mcnaryxc

mcnaryxc teh case is a lie

Hey everyone, I finished my mod over at Overclock.net a few months ago so I thought I'd post it on bit-tech to see what you guys think.

This case was created using the idea of the ASEC (Aperture Science Enrichment Center) case and the Companion Cube. Only thing that was a problem to me is that they are already made into case mods and I wanted to be original. So, not to spoil, but for those who have finished the game (and love it :D), we know that GlaDOS blows up the entire ASEC building. I wanted to replicate what the ASEC case and CCube would look like after the building blows up. In this case, the CCube is stuck in the case.

I'll show you some before and after pictures and some of the features of the case. I don't have the pictures of what the case looked like before, but it was a very beat up beige box that needed some serious lovin'.

Before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some light vs. dark photos of the hidden messages on the case:
    Lights on:
    [​IMG]

Lights off:
    [​IMG]

Lights on:
    [​IMG]

Lights off:
    [​IMG]

Also, thought I'd show you a comparison between the ASEC case and my blown up ASEC case.
    [​IMG]

And! The lights do flicker and flash, so here's a Youtube video of the case.

To check out my full worklog and how I did everything, head over my Overclock.net work log:
    http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/412824-completed-portal-after-explosion-ccube.html

Let me know what you think. Enjoy! :thumb:

Last edited: 1 Aug 2009
    Javerh likes this.
  2. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

pure genius! :jawdrop:
    the work with the uv-reactive text is an amazing touch,
    the cube looks really good,
    the weathering and damage looks realistic and natural..
    overall; i love it! 5/5 :thumb::rock:

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Wow, those are both excellent! Nice work :D

4. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

WOW that is amazing!
    I like the light effects... I bet that can be distracting though lol!
    -J

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Amazing :clap:
    Portal Cheesecake!

6. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

The....

But....

Case.....cube....

/me falls over gibbering at the beauty of it.

7. mcnaryxc

Thanks! I was trying to be original. The weathering is mostly just black spray paint, and what made it better was that I spray painted in below freezing weather so my paint crackled on some parts.

Thanks!! :D (FYI, the original ASEC case, in the comparison picture, wasn't made by me. That was made by someone over at [H]. He helped me a lot though!)

Thanks! Ya, for normal use, I turn off the flash UV and the flicking orange lights because they can keep me up at night. The light effects also are what made every camera person I had try to take pictures get mad because the flicking orange lights kept messing up the overall light. :hehe:

Thanks!! :thumb:

:hehe: Thanks!

8. Yourmum366

Yourmum366 First-Time Modder

Dude, great work, loving the fact that it reflects all of the game including the easter egg areas and I LOVE the lighting in the WCC!

9. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

Could improve it by battering the inner chassis a little, but its still a 5/5 for me, looks AWESOME.

10. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

5*! Thats amazing!! Looking through your worklog now :) Great work on the UV lighting.

11. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I was playing through Portal a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering when I'd see a case mod based on the ASEC workstation. Looks fantastic, but personally I'd make that cube removable. Love the lighting though!

12. mcnaryxc

Thanks! If anyone makes a Portal case, they gotta go all out. :D

Thanks. I actually thought about that, but then I had fears of things not being structurally sound when putting parts in. I mean, that CCube is made out of wood and spackle so it's not exactly light, but....ya, I could have roughed it up a bit a little more.

Thanks! That was the one thing I probably had the most fun doing. I wrote my name on the case mod in UV ink also so that I can always prove it's mine.

Thanks! The cube is completely removable. I could try to take a picture and show you. The CCube has a 4-pin molex connector on it and the other end is hiding under the curved part of the ASEC case, so TBH, the CCube could be plugged into any computer very easily. The reason I did this was so I could transport it to LAN parties easier. That, and in my room, I don't have much room under my desk for the CCube to sit on top. Also, I'm starting a little collage on my wall off all my case mods with some of their props.

13. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

LOVE IT !!!!

14. mcnaryxc

Thanks! You guys (and gals) are awesome! :D

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The little details and the fact that it's done so well.....

If only I had the skill.

+100000 for the effort and the amazing skill done.

16. stuartwood89

I think that just having a lighted model of a Companion Cube on my desk would be amazing enough..... Waaaiit..... HTPC idea?

17. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

[​IMG]

18. mcnaryxc

Thanks! You can do it! It's all about planning and then trying to execute it as best as you can. :thumb:

I actually had planned to put a computer inside the CCube and run it while sitting on top as a server (like a one stop LAN machine), but I ran out of money. Still, it's a cool light up prop. :lol:

Ya, I saw that. It's really cool. Although, I have to say, I like my CCube better. I think it looks more like the one from the game. And mine lights up! :D

19. stuartwood89

Exactly

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

MORE BUILD PICTURES!

[​IMG]

:rock: