1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Stag Do : top gear style banger challenge

Discussion in 'General' started by dancingbear84, 18 Jan 2013.

1. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Having got married less than a year ago I am now planning a stag do. The Stag is a bit of a motor sport fan, as is his mate (the other best man) and myself, although I am more of a spectator having owned bangers/economic cars. The other guys have had various motorbikes and an m3, amongst other sporty numbers.

I have thought that a good plan for a stag do would be to travel to the Nordschleifer overnight nearby then do a lap or 2 before heading up to Dusseldorf for a few cheeky beers and other "grown up" entertainment for the stag mostly involving :jawdrop: at an establishment where the beer is expensive and the dancers earn lots of notes... Errrrm any way...

Has anyone done "The Green Hell" and can offer any handy pointers about anything to be aware of. Or can anyone recommend anywhere in Dusseldorf that is good to stay or again things to be aware of. Finally is there anything of note on route that would be good for a group of 8 or 9 thirty odd year old plus guys to visit en route.

Cheers guys

Last edited: 7 Mar 2013
  2. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Take it easy on the track. Very easy to get caught out.

I've stayed at a few places, but Sliders was the nicest. Cheap, near some good food, cheap beer, and a friendly host. Only downside is that it's a little distance from the 'ring. (http://www.slidersguesthouse.com/)

Worth a trip to Spa on the way (or way back) if you can manage it.

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Count me i- oh, wait... :(

Sounds like an awesome trip!

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Thanks Alex, if I brave the track I will be very careful, I have been used to driving things like a renault 19 and pug 106 diesel. I've just got a Fabia vRS and I'm still getting used to it. Do you know the state of play with insurance. I noticed on my Direct Line policy that motorsport and track days are not covered, I assume that applies to the ring too, although I will check. If it does is there anyway of getting insurance, or do you just drive round uninsured. Or as it is not a track and is classed as public roads am I "technically" safe, I've read wikipedia and I am more confused about where I stand. But the Bud is probably not helping...

Edit: Sorry Kidmod, over 18's only... maybe in a few years eh buddy!:D

Last edited: 18 Jan 2013
  5. KidMod-Southpaw

I'm responsible! :D

My grandad used to go to Germany a lot and he always tells me about a brilliant old hotel in Dusseldorf that I believe is still open. If I remember I'll ask for some details for you. :)

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

That'd be grand. I imagine that they won't be too accommodating for stag do's though. Also the stag has decided he wants a pool, jacuzzi and steam room if possible. Although he is my oldest friend, sometimes I want to throttle him.

7. KidMod-Southpaw

I know how you feel...

It was certainly a very lively hotel, but I'm not sure what stag do's were like 60 years ago. ;) They were very accommodating people and I much believe still are, especially so to us english folk. :)

8. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I doubt you'll get insurance for the 'ring. Even most trackday insurers won't cover it. Just go there and be careful. It's a fantastic place, but don't go there to go flat out. Go there to enjoy it. You never know what you're going to come across, be it a bus of tourists, or someone's dropped engine oil.

9. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I'm not sure what I can really say to that without thinking of the classic Faulty Towers sketch...
    I assumed that was where you were going with your first comment although I wasn't sure

10. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Strange that, when I last bought car insurance, I asked if they had any exclusions for de-restricted, one-way-systems in Germany and they said the Nürburgring was covered. This was Kwik-Fit insurance.

11. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

The sensible part of brain has just shrivelled up and recoiled into itself. It is shouting "No insurance are you insane"
    The fun part of brain on the other hand things, yeah f**k it, do it and be careful not to crash.

I am Mr Sensible to my friends so there is not a lot of chance of me pushing things to far, I wimp out at 75 on the motorways. Once I pushed it to 85 and started panicking that I'd been zapped by an invisible Gatso. :duh:
    Would you be covered 3rd party do you happen to know?

12. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Easiest thing is to ring your insurers and ask. I was planning a trip a few years ago and was surprised when I was covered. No point trying to second guess them.

13. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Pick up a cheap local track day first. To get the hang of things. Even if you are careful its the other drivers that will be more daunting coming behind you at a rate of knotts and you not knowing what to do. Also make sure your car is well up to the job first. You have to be prepared for things like brake fade and the like. And drive relaxed. If your tense then that's where mistakes will happen.
    Treat the ring with respect, I've drove 100s of laps round there but even now I know the layout in my head it still catches you out

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A recommendation I'd have is that you go with someone who provides 'ring cars - http://www.rent4ring.de/ springs to mind. Hire a couple of Suzuki Swift track cars in the knowledge that you aren't hammering your car that'll take you home! It's a bit pricier, but it'll make it a bit more special for those who haven't got high-performance cars.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Me and my friends thought about going to the ring two years ago, then we spotted in the small print what it costs for each section of armco costs to replace, recovery costs and any potential closure costs per/hr.

Not to mention if you do bin the car and ruin the armco, most likely it's not going to be drivable legally on the open road. So again repair bills stack up.

However if you do go take something from the VW chain of cars, you'll always find spares most of them laying next to the track.

Also this little gem

16. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Krikkit beat me to the suggestion, absolutely get a car for the ring, why worry about your own insurance, it wouldn't take much to bounce over karussell and rip your exhaust off or bend a track or steering rod then your ****ed getting home. Get use to the track so you can at least anticipate some of the corners on something like GT5. I've no experience but my mate does it most years on his bike and loves it so I'm well jealous.

Dusseldorf is a great city to get pissed in, I was there weekend before Christmas. Make sure you find a jazz bar and a beer hall, is all I'd suggest.

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

So I've never done the 'ring, and maybe I'm off the mark here, by my tuppence based on a couple personal accounts:

Rinse it round a local, decent track in the UK and then go wherever else for the stag do. Sure, the ring is iconic and all that, but from what I've been told it's a massive let down and all you bring back is being able to say "I've been round the 'ring" -

- The surface is terrible and unpredictable, which seriously curtails your enthusiasm after the first few corners, since you already know about the crippling fees if you crash
    - It can get very congested, which further limits enthusiasm
    - While I'm sure plenty of people going round are experienced, have a thought for how many of the other drivers are brainless idiots on a stag do (I chap I know was inches away from being taken out twice on a single lap)

A scheduled track day at a UK track sounds better to me.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

For driving fun I'd hit some of the UK's most awesome roads, for example the A684 is a riot, and links up with buttertubs pass which I've heard of being an awesome road. I drove up there for my birthday last year and headed on to Kendal and drove around most of the Lake District with a huge grin on my face. Saab turbo coupe never shifting higher than 3rd gear and bedding in fresh tyres and brakes. Whilst there I bombed another road, the A592 up over the mountains/hills, spent a whole day caning that road until my rotors were smoking.

Just budget for new rotors and pads after the fun!

EDIT: I should also mention, the "Ring" has only popped to the public's attention in recent years as more and more people found out how easy it is to get on to, it doesn't really make it a worth while trip considering as much fun can be had else where for less.

Also if your going to drive the car hard "really hard" then get use to parking in gear on the flat with the handbrake off. If you don't you risk warping your tires and rear rotors due to over heated the tires and handbrake pressure. Your jumping from an average small car to a VRS so treat it with respect, don't mother it or it'll bite just as hard as a high speed mistake.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2013
  19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

AFAIK (which might not be far):

Since the 'Ring is TECHNICALLY not a racetrack, but rather a derestricted, one-way piece of Autobahn, you SHOULD be covered. Be warned that you MAY NOT have timing equipment in your car, though - That was the rule last I checked.

Insurance should cover all the expenses, excluding any excess payable (make sure, please - it's one phonecall) in case of an accident, provided you fall in their parameters regarding the timing equipment and such.

I'd go with Krikkit's suggestion and rent a car there.
    Alternately, get a scare-you-straight session with a 'ring taxi, if you don't want to drive.

The 'Ring is a tricky beast. going off the track almost invariably means hitting the Armco, and some corners are hell on your nerves.
    if you do drive yourself, make sure to take it easy, and make sure you don't drive like a d*ckhead towards the other drivers that are actually driving fast.

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

My insurance specifically excludes the Ring.