1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Beta-Readers Wanted

Discussion in 'General' started by Phalanx, 20 Jan 2011.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Right, bit of a request from you guys, if you're interested in reading unreleased short stories and novels before they are published.

Some of you might be aware that I have two jobs. My first job is working for an IT consultancy. Pretty normal job. My second job is far more interesting to me, and it's getting to the point where I am considering turning professional with it after some success.

I'm a writer. Science-Fiction to be precise, and more often than not based on Warhammer 40,000. I'm looking for beta-readers who have some practice in one form or another that would like to be involved in reading drafts and pieces of my work before I pass them to submission through my publisher.

I am looking for two or three people who have one or more of the following:

- People who have a love for sci-fi and can feel the storyline and feedback in a way that explains if the story works for them or not, and WHY.
    - People who have editing experience, and are able to pick out transitional grammatical errors (ie. not necessarily a missing comma, but a comma in the wrong place. That kind of thing).
    - People who have a background in Warhammer 40,000 and like reading. This is much more focused and will be less work than just science-fiction in general. My roots are in Warhammer 40,000 for my publishing, but I am moving to a broader sci-fi genre soon.
    - People who are able to say what they mean. I don't mean just comments like "Yeah, I loved it!" - Pick the story apart and explain what you liked and didn't. Pull no punches.

If you think you can help and want to read free transcripts of future published items before they are released, get in touch by e-mail. My e-mail is christian[dot]damico@gmail[dot]com

If you get in, you would be added to a mailing list of a total of three of four people who would receive my work periodically for perusement :)

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Email sent.

3. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

4. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

If I didn't have journal papers to review and a thesis to write, I would definately be up for this.

6. Phalanx

Blood hell guys! Thanks! I never expected such a response! :) This is going to take me a while, but I will personally respond to each and every one of you (including you sneaky lot who didn't post on this thread!) :)

7. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

ah bugger guess im a tad late, just started getting into warhammer 40k but i have had past experience of reading other people's stories. If you do need anyone else please drop me a message.

8. Phalanx

nukeman8, drop me an e-mail mate. I'll be working through the e-mails tonight when I get home :)

9. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

epic, considered it done

10. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Email definitely sent :thumb:

11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

If i wasn't dyslexic, i would, but its taking forever to get though my current book.

12. Psycho

Psycho Average

15 yr old with much time to spare. BRING IT.

13. Phalanx

Thanks for the submissions guys. I will be getting back to EVERYONE (I will answer personally to you all. It's the least I can do) by Saturday night, so please keep them coming in :) It's really enlightening to see so many people on here who have editorial backgrounds!

As I said, I will respond to you all by Saturday evening.

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

A lot of us have been Tech Writers and published authors. We not just a bunch of kids. some of us don't start rants. :D :thumb:

john

15. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Email sent

16. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

And another one :)

17. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I'd be interested in reading once you release them

18. Phalanx

Thanks to everyone who applied. I was extremely honoured at the level of applicants that came in and I have picked a team that I feel reaches a broad range of people I write to/for.

I look forward to hopefully telling you all in the future that I am being published under my own name :)

19. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

20. Phalanx

Zoon, hehe yeah I know that site already mate. It's OK, I've got a publishing background already; it's just a case of being published without a pseudonym now :D