1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Games of the Year 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Dec 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Good to see Frozen Synapse and Bastion to break apart the much more obvious main stream choices.

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I really tried with deus ex but I couldn't get into this one like the previous version

it felt to like the first assassin's creed with the whole mission structures being the same, especially with the sneaking around a build bit, then finding item(s), maybe rescue someone then escape and sometimes a awful boss fight just to round it off.

for me, it never felt like the mission structure had enough variation to keep me entertained and after the about 6 hours of hinding behind computer desks/low wall/boxes the game started to where very thin.

4. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I'd have dropped Batman: Arkham City in there somewhere, probably in place of Deus Ex, which is a game that lost it's shine so rapidly I never even finished it.

Can't argue with Skyrim for game of the year though. It's spectacular. A work of art.

5. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I'm playing through bastion now and its not doing much for me. The graphics and music (oh my the music) are great but I only find myself playing it in short bursts before loading up Batman for the 10 millionth time. Its quirky and original but when I'm done I will never play it again.

6. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

Gutted to see the Witcher 2 not make the list, what a game!

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Hide the results from feathers!

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Indeed!

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Deus Ex 3 got too much like a chore towards the end, especially with all those hacking games but Arkham City, even before the patch was loads of fun all the way through.

10. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

For me it has to be Battlefield 3. I have never spent so much time on a single game and had that much fun.

11. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Was too short though, haven't tried the new patch though.

12. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Disagree with a couple choices here.

Frozen Synapse is fun... for about 3 hours. Then you realize it's really lacking in tactical and gameplay options. Play by mail is cool and it's fun to get a few seconds in. UI and art style are also good too. It just doesn't have enough to keep me caring for long though. Compared to something like X-COM or Jagged Alliance it's really behind the curve.

Skyrim has the same issue over a longer period. It makes a good impression, and it looks gorgeous most of the time, but it's still got the same Bethesda issues: repetitive voice actors, generally bad writing, no consequence to anything you do in the world, a terrible and broken character system with tons of balance problems, dumbed down gameplay compared to previous titles, level scaling that makes certain characters unplayable past X level, etc. It's kind of shocking how little they've learned from Oblivion; the only real improvements have been to level/dungeon design, graphics and world design, admittedly big ones, but when the game itself is so underwhelming it's hard to take the rest too seriously.

13. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Couldn't agree more with Skyrim as No.1. Played it for like 60 hours and it still feels as if there is still loads to do. Have to see though, as I'm planning on getting BF3 and MW3 for xmas :)

14. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Really pleased to see Frozen Synapse in there. Such a great game and if you follow mode7games on twitter they seem like great people.

Frozen Synapse fun for about 3 hours?!?! Your not playing it right mate. I've probably spent more than 3 hours planning and plotting a single turn in a multiplayer game.

15. echoesinthedark

echoesinthedark What's a Dremel?

As I got closer and closer to the end I was thinking to myself "If skyrim isn't in this list I'm never looking at bit-tech again".

It looks like I had my faith in the right people :D

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I am gobsmacked that Battlefield 3 - a game that has inspired so many non PC gamers to buy a PC with its incredible graphics and breathtaking multiplayer gameplay, is not number one.

Current posts in the Skyrim thread - 531
    Current posts in the Battlefield 3 thread - 5698

17. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I still haven't been able to get Frozen Synapse to run and it seems that the problem is quite common on the steam/mode7 forums. I can't comment on the gameplay but the system requirements on Steam of 'Graphics: Netbook integrated graphics' are certainly not correct >_<

18. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I thought "SkyRim" was just a euphemism for The Mile High Club?

19. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

You gotta be kidding me....

I like Frozen Synapse as much as the next guy, but seriously, I think it's foolish to say that it's *better* than Battlefield 3.

Whenever we're comparing games, we really do need to separate games into at least two categories - if nothing else, let's have "Top AAA titles of 2011" and "Top Indie titles of 2011". Otherwise, the results are meaningless.

Develop Mag did this in their last "Top 100 game developers" chart, where some pissy one-man iPhone (*spits*) developer made it to the top 5 and BioWare weren't even *IN* in the Top 100.

Please introduce different categories next year :)

20. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

WHERE'S MINECRAFT?!?!?!?!?!

Tags: Add Tags