1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete I NEED HEALING, another Overwatch build?? DDR4 Healing - Update 08/09/17

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 24 Nov 2016.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Hello everybody!

So earlier in the year, AMD approached me asking whether I would be interested in taking part in a themed mod "battle" to help promote the new RX 470. Well I've never even done a themed build before, never mind one in a head to head competition! I'll be competing against Jens Schwalbe of BIRD Customs, so it'll be no mean feat. I will be representing the UK and Jens Germany.

I'd like to thank everybody at AMD involved in setting up this competition, along with all the companies who were willing to sponsor gear for it. So a big hand to Thermaltake, Asus RoG, Gigabyte and Corsair for each providing hardware that will be going into the build.

[​IMG]

As you can see, my theme for this build will be Overwatch... Like seemingly everybody else. Whilst I don't like playing the game itself much, I do like the art style. So without further ado, here are the first photos of the kit going inside!

I'm going to be using Thermaltake's new View 27 chassis for this build. IMO it's a beautiful case, plus the internal layout is very tidy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thermaltake also supplied the cooling gear for this rig along with the PSU.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of RGB going into this build, including all the fans and fittings!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every build deserves an RGB power supply of course haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gigabyte have supplied the build with an FX990-Gaming. No RGB unfortunately yet on AMD's boards from them, but this is very pretty anyhow. Love the PCIe slots and the super matte PCB. An FX 8370e will be going into this board.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More RGB goodness in the form of Asus' Strix RX 470. Great cooler on this card, was nice and quiet even under full load. Perhaps not waterblock level, but you can't complain for one at this budget end.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corsair insisted on sending some Dominator Platinum DDR3 for the build. Perhaps doesn't quite fit in with the other specs (bar watercooling) but like I'd refuse an offer like that, many thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lightbar kits should really help for fitting the theme too!
    [​IMG]

First step of any build, testing the hardware. This case is really so easy to build in. Only took a few minutes to get it like this.
    [​IMG]

Hardware now extracted, case ready to be worked on
    [​IMG]

Where we're going we don't need PSU shrouds...
    [​IMG]

Nor rear IO panels...
    [​IMG]

Definitely won't be needing these
    [​IMG]

And not this bit either. This will be sanded smooth later.
    [​IMG]

2. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Good luck buddy, whats the turn-a-round time on the comp? I look forward to seeing what you do with this one.

J.

3. Maki role

End of Q4 I believe. Much like with Tim's one this will eventually be given away to a lucky individual later on, so I'm keeping it relatively stock in comparison to usual, mostly for their sake :hehe:

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

So.. are you using the same character everyone else uses for their color scheme? :lol:
    At least it's not an overwatch-themed desk build.

Edit: Oops. No one has really done that, right? :worried:

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Please don't cover it in silly stickers. Please.

I love that case though. Yeah yeah they stole the Vulture but tbh some one had to.

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Looking forward to seeing what you make of this case! And you can't complain about TT copying the EK Vulture, as you can't buy the damn things!

7. Maki role

Naa I'm going too RGB for that, going to be sticking more to the main theme colours. Tracer does tend to be used a lot, her character colours are the main ones I guess alongside being the primary PR front. Think more along the lines of Winston with this one.

I think people are still getting over neon green or flat red in their desk builds :hehe:

Stickers only going in sensible spots, and only if they help the build as a whole. Not plastering character portraits everywhere if that's what you're worried about haha

Having the case in person, they just used the window and rounded rectangular shape. The interior layout is very different, and IMO vastly superior to the better-made Vulture. Kinda shows what EK could have done with a bit of lateral thinking if you ask me.

Agreed. It's one thing to take cues from an in-production product, but a limited edition that wasn't put out to the general public? To me that's pretty fair game, especially with the differences listed above.

8. Vault-Tec

Yeah well there's that too :D

9. Maki role

So seemingly a small update but woah it took longer than anticipated. Been so packed over the last few days I haven't been able to put in the time I'd like. Trying to get the front panel all sorted before moving on to the rest of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, it is insulated don't worry
    [​IMG]

10. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Good luck hombre!

11. Maki role

Thanks Time! You've already gone and set the bar rather high haha

12. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Love this layout, and the dude who's modding it. No h0m0. :D

13. Maki role

'Ello 'ello 'ello

So why have there been no updates? Well simply put I got massively snowed in. I can't get things done in the workshop late at night thanks to noise (and yes I did receive a complaint once haha), so if I can't get afternoons or mornings to work on builds I have a bit of an issue.

Add to that a faulty riser cable and it's not a pretty picture.

BUT that is in the past now!

So to kick things off, I thought I'd prep some stuff that might help people out a bit. After being sent a new riser cable, I thought I would try out some benchmarking to see whether it has any impact on the performance of a mid-range/entry level system. AMD has seemingly had more issues with risers in the past, so I figured this could be an interesting test.

I'm using one of the newer Thermaltake ones, they're a hell of a lot better made than the originals. If you've used or seen the LiHeat ones before, they're more akin to those. This isn't the Premium extender though, which is more like the ones made by 3M.

For these benchmarks I did 5 runs of each test, with and without the riser cable installed. I then took averages, which I'll post here. Note that I have photoshopped these images just for ease of use because otherwise you'd be looking at like 25+ images.

I think the findings are fairly interesting. Basically there's a negligible change, which could be more to do with the benchmark. Especially considering I can't think of any honest reason why a riser cable would improve CPU performance haha. So any changes are likely down to just variance in the benching process. I would imagine that with even more runs performed the % changes would be even tighter.

I'll try to do this same testing in the future for each build where I use a riser. Could be interesting if different hardware configurations make a difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have kept every screenshot of the actual results though, so if anybody wants to see figures from individual runs just let me know.

14. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Im not buying that.

The Vulture is better made and the interior layout is only better in respect to mATX support rather than ITX. Im not seeing 'vastly superior' in any other aspect.

Its a rip off,pure and simple.

That doesnt detract from you however,im sure you will produce something good to look at.

15. Vault-Tec

It's visually very similar but if you can't buy the Vulture I can't see it being quite as extreme as an all out rip off.

If that mindset was used then pretty much everything these days is a rip off of something.

16. Andreas | Brodholm

Andreas | Brodholm Minimodder

This will be good! Looking forward to the updates!

The one thing that cracks me up is how marketing has gone absolutely crazy with these VR-ready things. http://www.thermaltake.com/content.aspx?id=6887

I mean com'on, how can a power supply be VR-ready... If you do that you can slab "VR-ready" on basically everything like, mouse, keyboard, speakers, harddrives, motherboards etc.

17. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Thanks for the testing Alex. Puts my mind at ease - just hope mine works and yields similar result as it's certainly all crammed into a tiny case compared to the 27.

18. Maki role

Buzz words man :hehe:

Descriptions like this always crack me up, at least this one's pretty innocuous. Asus and their 4/5-way-power or whatever is downright confusing. Makes it sound like 4-way GPU configurations are supported.

I'm a big fan of Thermaltake's 4D gaming chair. I've actually used it to travel back in time myself so can vouch for it :D

Apparently the previous ones had major issues with AMD cards for some reason, so this was a rather pleasing result really.

[​IMG]

Yeah so this build is now getting a rather substantial makeover. Well, not that you'd know because I've not shown anything, but the plan has basically completely changed. Say goodbye to "Cheers Luv" and say hello to "I need healing"!

Yes I will now be rocking this build to the tune of weeb-king Genji-san. I had one of those crisis moments where I just about hated everything I was planning on doing, and with that I threw away the old theme. I'm keeping the details for the future work a surprise, but needless to say it should be more interesting than before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this will involve removing even more of the original case, fancy that eh?
    [​IMG]

19. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

That 2nd picture almost looked like the top of a smartphone. :D

20. Maki role

Given the size, I reckon maybe 1/2 generations down the line perhaps?