1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cable/Adapter for IDE HDDs/DVDs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 18 Dec 2011.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Hey guys,

I'm building a very cheap PC at the 'rents using old parts and parts i've bought cheap.
    The problem is budget is met, I can't spend any more (i'm not paying, they are).
    I have 2x 400(i think) GB IDE hdd's, 1 DVD Drive and 1 DVD-RW drive - also both IDE.
    I can't go buying new HDD's because of prices.

The motherboard I will be using is this M4A87TD EVO .
    Which has 1 IDE connector. I will have to connect at least 3 things (Dad wants both
    DVD drives he does on the fly-disc writing or something) to IDE, I can't find a 3 way IDE cable and
    it probably wouldn't be suitable if I did. I want round cables and fair bit of space between each connector.
    Not seen IDE cables like that before (the space situation).

Does anyone know how i'd get those in there? Is there an adapter to SATA that is small and would
    take them all? Or a suitable IDE cable, pref. round and lots of space between each connector?
    So long as it's below around a fiver it should be ok money-wise.

Cheers in advance for any help guys :)

2. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

You can only do 2x ide devices per interface - the master & slave.

Whilst slightly over budget, you 'could' look at something like this to get the extra 2 that you need...

...Startech being a pretty reliable budget brand afaik (have briefly used one of their eSATA cards in the past) & Micom have been reliable as a company the odd time i've used them.

[Edit]

Or the other option, would be to buy 2x cheap SATA DVD r/ws - something like these would be £28 all in from Amazon.

pete* likes this.
  3. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

:thumb:

Cheers,

Much help!

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

No problem... i should have also said that i'd personally go for the 2nd of the two as it'd be much better for on the fly copying, saves having even more legacy stuff & will improve airflow/case organisation...